Is anyone else getting fed up with Norm?

This Old House and New Yankee Workshop are often able to be seen on the Discovery Real-time and Discovery Real-time Extra channels on Sky and cable TV, BUT be prepared to see only the 2003 & 2004 (for TOH) and 2004 (for NYW) season shows as Discovery in their wisdom hasn't deemed it fit for us to see any of the later (or earlier) seasons. A real shame as I have learned so much from them.

Yours (thoroughly disgusted with Discovery Real-time)

Micky

PS. Try "Flannelly's" in Coventry on 13th Sept for some Irish Country/Trad. I'm playing there!

Reply to
Micky

Bother!

I will be on holiday in Ireland from 10th to 17th!

First time across to Ireland. We're taking the ferry across to Dublin from Holyhead, staying three nights on the outskirts of Dublin (Dun Laoghaire) then move south for four nights in a farmhouse, somewhere out in the sticks between New Ross and Waterford.

Thanks for letting me know anyway.

What's your instrument, I'm a 12 string guitar player - Simon and Patrick.

Reply to
Stuart

the 20th to the 30th, heading down to Kenmare in the Kerry area, 7th time in

6 years. Does this say something about the place? Enjoy your holiday, I'm sure you're going to love the place

Micky

Reply to
Micky

Hmmm, that's interesting.

You live in the area?

Our regular bass player decided to go into the ministry and is now a curate in Bedworth. They also have a new baby and he is unable to play for us anymore. There's a close friend of mine who is a first rate guitarist and bassist who we sometimes rope in but he's a busy man and sometime's we are stuck.

Your email address has been noted :-)

We use traditional tunes - jigs, reels, hornpipes - mostly english Morris and dance but there are some scottish and irish tunes thrown in for good measure.

Graham, who leads our band, when he is not playing melodeon or six-string guitar, has a very nice Armstrong acoustic bass.

Yes I know we're moving O/T but guitars are made of wood and I've often fancied having a go at making one. However, a bowed Psaltry might be my starter into the world of musical instrument making because there aren't any fancy curves to produce.

Stuart.

Reply to
Stuart

Hi Stuart, you can email me direct. Email is good Micky

Reply to
Micky

Sort of replying to my own post here but it set me thinking.

Anyone round here got any plans for making a bowed Psaltry?

Reply to
Stuart

So is mine believe it or not :-)

Stuart.

Reply to
Stuart

When did he do that and to what tool?

Reply to
LRod
[snipped, for brevity's sake, an intelligent discussion about Norm.]

I just spent 2 x 3 hours with the designers and builders of my new toy, adding a few features, such as proximity/limit switches, crawling all over the thing with a bezillion questions. The General/Gorilla combo is just brilliant. The power and strength of a world renowned heavy iron tool manufacturer joined up with a few very clever and young minds. Add to that the skills of a guy who's experience includes building some really tricky tooling for Diamond Aircraft. Quite a pedigree indeed. The next projects are going to be really interesting. I wonder how long it will be before Norm gets himself a CNC router.

*S* r
Reply to
Robatoy

I think of this myself, on a serious note.

Compare with amateur radio and performance hot rodding... The radio hobby has evolved from home brewed gear to "software defined radio". Some hot rodders have moved away from carb tweaks and raw HP, in the direction of chips and software to tune engines and traction control, data logging, etc...

How many folks in the 70's and 80's did actual dyno runs to check changes to the car? These days, it's not that odd. Within 15 minutes of my home, there are at least (4) dynos available by the hour.

While the computer aspect turns off the purists, it has a way of attracting new participants.

There are already lots of metalworking hobbyists with CNC gear. Some are long experienced folks, the types who had large Bridgeport machines in the garage, others are attracted to the hobby by the CNC aspect.

Reply to
B A R R Y

He'll get one as soon as Delta starts making one.

Lee

Reply to
Lee Gordon