Is anyone else getting fed up with Norm?

Page 5 of 5

The only thing that annoys me about reruns is when they show the same select few over and over again. While I enjoy watching the new episodes of NYWS, I don't enjoy watching them 3 times a day 4 days a week. There's a lot of good air time that's wasted on PBS's secondary stations. Repeats are great, especially when you come in late on the first episode, but there's a limit on how many are practical...
Puckdropper

I have to say, I was laughing pretty hard at Vic's response. I wasn't in this one, but it was a pretty nice way of saying "screw off".
Then I saw yours, and laughed even harder.
I had some repairs done (badly) by Sears that needed to be redone. I went down there ready to tear their lungs out, and all the damn manager did was agree they screwed up, then asked if he could get away from me so he could get the guys started on fixing the problems.
Some people just take all the fun out of everything.
BTW... keep posting Vic!
Robert

Yo, Robert! (BTW, there is STILL a large salmon swimming around in Georgian Bay with my name on it. He bumped the bottom of the boat a few times just to piss me off, did a few 'Flipper-style' tail-walks while giving me the fin, but all I could catch was cold.)
Now, about Norm. 'Is anyone else getting fed up with Norm?' was the original question. It's kinda like watching Flatley doing his Riverdance...once. Kinda impressive, but once you've seen it...you've seen it. He is not playing to the pros, but he is playing to an audience which includes guys and gals who 'get the bug' by watching him. Many think that they are able to do what he does, and in many cases they are. I think that is a wonderful thing. But, none of that takes away the fact that Norm is a corporation with a great marketing machine. I don't believe that it goes unnoticed by the Milwaukee people that Norm isn't using any of their tools; they'd like to knock that DeWalt drill out of Norm's hand, I'm sure. I'm sure Makita would like some product placement as well. (IF, in fact, he does or doesn't use those brands, I haven't watched Norm in years.) How much would would Harbour Freight pay to see some of their schlock on Norm's bench? What an endorsement. Personally, I get my important input from Woodweb and here.

Well, what can I say - that's what we're here for... the comedy relief.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net

That good sir, is why I am not a fisherman. I can't stand being sneered at by animals farther down the food chain than I am. And I have to say, if you caught a cold, that's more than I caught my last couple of trips.

I think his projects have elevated a bit, though. I remember when he was building magazine racks, and stuff like that.
I think he gets a lot of those neat tools in there to generate some interest, and to mix it up a bit. I think some of them are employed to get the ratings up by keeping folks around that think they might see something that is at least interesting.

But isn't that the genius of Norm and his producers/directors/project coordinators, etc.? You HAVE to make the projects seem that at least some of them are within reach. I can't imagine watching anyone every week that made projects that were profoundly complicated, ones I knew I could never make.
And as far as the corporate part goes, I agree. I have heard about and been asked by hobby guys what I think about specific tools that Norm has and uses. Some folks think that certain tools are only made by one company. So when they see a PC biscuit machine in Norm's hands, they think PC, not DeWalt, Makita, Lamello, etc.
I cool with the idea that Norm has those guys sponsoring his shows. I isn't one of Hollywood's big expense shows, but it can't be cheap for its niche market.
I read an article long ago about the relation of Norm to Russel Morash, his sponsors, etc. Even Norm said he was surprised at how much his show cost to make and distribute. He allowed too, that on some of the more complex projects he built them twice before he built the show model! So three times in all.
According to Russel, he said that they are not 100% funded by their sponsors, but that they make up a large part of their budget. He was acutely aware though, that he could be replaced at any time by another cooking or gardening show in any given market, so he and Norm work hard to make as good a show as they can make. (As a sidebar, while fighting it out in our local market, we had no NYY for a year or so until they could come to terms.)
Our local PBS carried Scott Phillips for a year or so, The Furniture Guys for one year, and have totally missed on other shows that sounded interesting. So it is Norm, TOH, and cooking on Saturdays around here. That make Norm hit and miss for me.

Seems his big sponsors, Porter Cable and Delta, try to cover all the bases for his tool needs. I have seen a tool from time to time that has a piece of tape on it where the logo should be. I think that means someone dropped out or they didn't get the tool from PC to him in time for taping.

Outside of my local amigos that might be using certain tools, there are absolutely many more valuable opinions here and Woodweb than just about anywhere else.
Robert
Robatoy wrote:

Last time I was in the Bay, "Perry the Pike" and his buddies ruled those waters.
Had to get into the open waters of Lake Huron on a boat with down riggers to get any salmon interest.
Lew
[snipped, for brevity's sake, an intelligent discussion about Norm.]

toy, adding a few features, such as proximity/limit switches, crawling all over the thing with a bezillion questions. The General/Gorilla combo is just brilliant. The power and strength of a world renowned heavy iron tool manufacturer joined up with a few very clever and young minds. Add to that the skills of a guy who's experience includes building some really tricky tooling for Diamond Aircraft. Quite a pedigree indeed. The next projects are going to be really interesting. I wonder how long it will be before Norm gets himself a CNC router. *S*
Robatoy wrote:

I think of this myself, on a serious note.
Compare with amateur radio and performance hot rodding... The radio hobby has evolved from home brewed gear to "software defined radio". Some hot rodders have moved away from carb tweaks and raw HP, in the direction of chips and software to tune engines and traction control, data logging, etc...
How many folks in the 70's and 80's did actual dyno runs to check changes to the car? <G> These days, it's not that odd. Within 15 minutes of my home, there are at least (4) dynos available by the hour.
While the computer aspect turns off the purists, it has a way of attracting new participants.
There are already lots of metalworking hobbyists with CNC gear. Some are long experienced folks, the types who had large Bridgeport machines in the garage, others are attracted to the hobby by the CNC aspect.
<<I wonder how long it will be before Norm gets himself a CNC router. *S* >>
He'll get one as soon as Delta starts making one.
Lee

Vic Baron wrote:

Norm has, does and will do just that. He has many times made a multipart molding on some of his cabinets and does a great job.
Dave
<<Actually, I agree, I would just like to see him do it the "old" way.>>
Then it would be the Old Yankee Workshop.
Lee