Is anyone else getting fed up with Norm?

That's going too far the other way, I don't have time to do everything the hard way with crude tools. I like power where it can save some heavy labor and some hand where they can do the fine work. By the way, have you noticed his hands are covered with band-aids, bandages, blackened finger nails and other wounds from his tools.

Reply to
EXT

Frank:

Hmm, well to let you know that PBS does NOT own NYW, TOH or Ask This Old House. Those shows are all produced by Time Warner. They are shown on PBS as well as DIY networks and local channels. Are they elitist?

Many seem to rail against Norm when he uses a brad nailer, that wonderful Timesaver belt sander, the Delta tablesaw, etc. But, few people have them but still watch. I'd bet more people took up or tried woodworking because of Norm. I haven't heard from anyone who gave it UP because of his tools!

I'm not sure how PBS comes across as elitist in accepting an underwriter? If you accept commercials, would that make it non-elitist?

MJM

Reply to
mjmwallace

Nevertheless, it's still frustrating when, tuning in to see how to make something, Norm uses tools most people will never have. For example, using a mortising tool to cut a mortise instead of showing how to make a mortise with a drill press, hammer and sharp chisel. And I cringe at all the times he uses a brad nailer instead of clamps to hold pieces together while the glue dries.

Reply to
Just Wondering

It's like Nascar for Woodworkers!

-MJ

Reply to
Mark Johnson

No kidding. Sometimes I feel like both of mine are!

Robert

Reply to
nailshooter41

Being in the UK I know nothing of any of these channels and we don't appear to have anything equivalent. Are any of them available over the net?

Reply to
Stuart

But he HAS shown doing it that way in the past. The thing is that if you watch many episodes of the show you will see the same task accomplished with different methods. He can't show you every way to do something on every project in 20 minutes. I don't think he does as many things without those dedicated tools as much as he used to, and maybe that's partially to do with sponsorship. I think it also has to do with him having done this for a long time and wanting to do things that still interest him and doing things "the hard way" when you've got the right tool for the job sitting right there is not his style. He has done things with hand tools a lot more than he used to. It's pretty freaky seeing him pull out a japanese style hand saw to make the odd cut.

Reply to
LEGEND65

I have a mortiser. You can too, perfectly usable versions can be had for ~ $300, maybe much less if used.

I use my mortiser on every project, others might use it as a coat rack. Before my machine was obtained, I used a router, or the method you mention. It's all good, we choose how to spend our shop budgets based on personal tastes.

Picking up a side job or selling a custom piece here or there can greatly increase the shop budget. I started out repairing broken cabinet doors, work that was not worth the time of local cabinet shops. I left some inkjet cards with the local shops, and found I could make decent blow money surgically fixing doors. Once I learned which ones to turn away, the margins got even better.

I never expected to own a mortiser, until I got a shot making some custom interior passage doors. A few weeks of part-time work paid for my time AND a new stand-up machine.

So use clamps. Is he holding the brad nailer to your head?

Maybe David Marks shouldn't show his Multi-Router? That's right, there are MR owners on this forum.

Maybe we should pick on Chris Schwartz because he uses $1000+ infill planes instead of Anant planes?

Will you ever have a hand made infill smoother or Multi-Router? I probably won't, but who knows?

Reply to
B A R R Y

So it's like wannabes buying Pontiacs and driving like idiots on the highway? Not sure I see the connection. ;~)

John

Reply to
John Grossbohlin

What the sponsors are counting on is your level of perceived need or envy overcoming your good senses... Schwarz isn't immune from that based on his latest post on

;~)

John

Reply to
John Grossbohlin

Hi Stuart,

I don't think they are available on the net, but there are a few short segments on youtube. Just search for new yankee workshop. NYW has a nice website at newyankee.com . There is always the newyankeecam on the website if you are really bored and need to kill a few hours. I ordered the video set on building a kitchen. While I don't do everything as norm does, it was still a nice review on laying out and building a kitchen.

Scott.

** Posted from
**
Reply to
cavisco

I get it . Norm uses tools just like we all have. NASCAR drivers drive stock cars just like we buy at the local Chevy dealer.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Thank you, I'll check it all out.

Reply to
Stuart

No it is like the 95% of NASCAR fans that watch a NASCAR race hoping for their favorite driver to win and just itching to see the inevitable crashes. You don't know exactly when but you do know you are going to see a NASCAR crash/Woodwright guy cut his finger.

Reply to
Leon

I see...

The camera definitely distorts reality. Roy's hands look even more beat up in person than they do on the air... On air it is only the most obvious wounds and scars that are evident but in person the old scars are layered. In person his suspenders and clothes are faded and his hat is frayed but on the monitor the suspenders look bright red and his hat looks fine. The camera does not distort his wit though!

That said, maybe Norm doesn't really use all that many brads and the Timesaver isn't nearly as big as it appears on the monitor due to focal plane flattening by the camera?

John

Reply to
John Grossbohlin

They say that the camera adds 10 pounds, I bet the "Timesaver" looks 10 lbs bigger too. :~)

Reply to
Leon

The full line was: Haven't watched the NYWS in a while and had some free time and tuned in - now I'm irritated again.

I HAVE been using the next button, just not the last time!

Actually, I agree, I would just like to see him do it the "old" way. As far as the broadcast is concerned it takes no more time than using the dedicated whatever.

I would venture a guess that IF you own a dedicated molder then you pretty well know how to use it. If Ihad to make that multiple curved foot he made on the show I watched, I would have to use either the bandsaw or multiple passes with a router. I would have preferred his technique on doing that rather than running a chunk through a molder and voila! a curved foot.

I think that he can scare away as many new woodworkers as he attracts - at least with this type of show.

Just MHO

Reply to
Vic Baron

That's not a tool, that's woodworking jewelry!

Reply to
B A R R Y

Reply to
mapdude

So what? Do you really believe those beloved "old ways" would be more enticing to those scores of new woodworkers that you suspect he scares away?

Reply to
Mike Marlow