Is anyone else getting fed up with Norm?

Page 1 of 5
Haven't watched the NYWS in a while and had some free time and tuned in - now I'm irritated again. :)
I just get fed up when he starts a project and then " now I'll just take this to my dedicated molding machine" followed by " now I'll just take this to my dedicated mortising machine", etc. If I had a dedicated molding machine, etc I certainly wouldn't need Nahm to help me.
IMHO, if the show is aimed at home woodworkers in general, then stay with basic tools and teach how to make things with them.
rant mode off -
Now I feel better, :)
Vic
--
There are 10 kinds of people - those who understand binary and those who
don't

Keep in mind that Morash supplies the funding of all those cool dedicated machines. No wonder it takes me 2 weeks to build the same project Norm makes in two days. At least my project is not filled with brad nails.
Yes, getting annoyed but not so much as with your bug-a-boo rather, PBS fund raising campaigns: "So we can continue bringing you New Yankee ..." . I think I have seen every episode of "NEW" Yankee... atleast 5 times.
Stu

Actually, having worked for an underwriter, I believe it is they who supply all those nice machines. And since they are restricted in the manner in which they can hawk same, the agreement is usually that they will be used on the show for appropriate operations.
I don't mind that. If it were not for the underwriters, there would be no show. There is often an alternative operation if you don't happen to have the dedicated whatever, and more often and not I don't
Frank

"Frank Boettcher" wrote

Yabbut, blotting out the trademark will only fool the absolute novice. Most people can recognize the brand of tool. Besides, isn't there a commercial for the primary brand of tool on there anyway?
Sooo....., there may be some restrictions. But the the company (Delta) gets pretty good exposure anyway, even with the restrictions.
Again, I am not complaining or implying anything improper. I just thinks it smacks of the elitist, arrogant PBS culture. It just seems a little hypocritical to me.
On Fri, 29 Aug 2008 12:03:53 -0400, "Lee Michaels"

Of course it is recognizable, there is nothing wrong with that. Trade marks are not even covered. But the product can only be shown in actual use in the context of the particular show and Norm cannot mention the brand name. I believe that is honest at least compared to commercials where all kinds of outlandish claims can be made with no verification.
Yes the "underwriter" rules give you so many seconds to identify the company, their primary business, and you can show as many shots of products in use during that time.

Yes, and they pay dearly for that exposure just as they would on a non PBS ad. The difference is that they are not paying for ads by the minutes they are paying a contract price to underwrite the show for the season.

shows are there. Local being shows like Mississippi Outdoors and others that I really enjoy. I don't like the begathons, strongly believe the underwriting funding and limited public funding is best. Underwriting brings quality, if no one watches, no underwriting.
Frank

Frank:

Hmm, well to let you know that PBS does NOT own NYW, TOH or Ask This Old House. Those shows are all produced by Time Warner. They are shown on PBS as well as DIY networks and local channels. Are they elitist?
Many seem to rail against Norm when he uses a brad nailer, that wonderful Timesaver belt sander, the Delta tablesaw, etc. But, few people have them but still watch. I'd bet more people took up or tried woodworking because of Norm. I haven't heard from anyone who gave it UP because of his tools!
I'm not sure how PBS comes across as elitist in accepting an underwriter? If you accept commercials, would that make it non-elitist?
MJM
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Nevertheless, it's still frustrating when, tuning in to see how to make something, Norm uses tools most people will never have. For example, using a mortising tool to cut a mortise instead of showing how to make a mortise with a drill press, hammer and sharp chisel. And I cringe at all the times he uses a brad nailer instead of clamps to hold pieces together while the glue dries.

But he HAS shown doing it that way in the past. The thing is that if you watch many episodes of the show you will see the same task accomplished with different methods. He can't show you every way to do something on every project in 20 minutes. I don't think he does as many things without those dedicated tools as much as he used to, and maybe that's partially to do with sponsorship. I think it also has to do with him having done this for a long time and wanting to do things that still interest him and doing things "the hard way" when you've got the right tool for the job sitting right there is not his style. He has done things with hand tools a lot more than he used to. It's pretty freaky seeing him pull out a japanese style hand saw to make the odd cut.
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

dedicated molding machine. It should be noted that half the time he uses his router/router table to create his moldings. A lot of Norm's shortcuts are for programming purposes, such as the notorious BRAD nailer instead of clamps. The brads permit him to continue with the project instead of waiting hours for the glue up to cure. However if offered I would not refuse a free molding machine. HI HI..
Dave N
Just Wondering wrote:

I have a mortiser. You can too, perfectly usable versions can be had for ~ $300, maybe much less if used.
I use my mortiser on every project, others might use it as a coat rack. Before my machine was obtained, I used a router, or the method you mention. It's all good, we choose how to spend our shop budgets based on personal tastes.
Picking up a side job or selling a custom piece here or there can greatly increase the shop budget. I started out repairing broken cabinet doors, work that was not worth the time of local cabinet shops. I left some inkjet cards with the local shops, and found I could make decent blow money surgically fixing doors. Once I learned which ones to turn away, the margins got even better.
I never expected to own a mortiser, until I got a shot making some custom interior passage doors. A few weeks of part-time work paid for my time AND a new stand-up machine.
> And I cringe at

So use clamps. Is he holding the brad nailer to your head? <g>
Maybe David Marks shouldn't show his Multi-Router? That's right, there are MR owners on this forum.
Maybe we should pick on Chris Schwartz because he uses $1000+ infill planes instead of Anant planes?
Will you ever have a hand made infill smoother or Multi-Router? I probably won't, but who knows? <g>

What the sponsors are counting on is your level of perceived need or envy overcoming your good senses... Schwarz isn't immune from that based on his latest post on http://blog.lostartpress.com . ;~)
John
John Grossbohlin wrote:

That's not a tool, that's woodworking jewelry!
In article

Being in the UK I know nothing of any of these channels and we don't appear to have anything equivalent. Are any of them available over the net?
--
Stuart Winsor

Stuart wrote:

I don't think they are available on the net, but there are a few short segments on youtube. Just search for new yankee workshop. NYW has a nice website at newyankee.com . There is always the newyankeecam on the website if you are really bored and need to kill a few hours. I ordered the video set on building a kitchen. While I don't do everything as norm does, it was still a nice review on laying out and building a kitchen.
Scott.

Thank you, I'll check it all out.
--
Stuart Winsor

Hi Stuart,
This Old House and New Yankee Workshop are often able to be seen on the Discovery Real-time and Discovery Real-time Extra channels on Sky and cable TV, BUT be prepared to see only the 2003 & 2004 (for TOH) and 2004 (for NYW) season shows as Discovery in their wisdom hasn't deemed it fit for us to see any of the later (or earlier) seasons. A real shame as I have learned so much from them.
Yours (thoroughly disgusted with Discovery Real-time)
Micky
PS. Try "Flannelly's" in Coventry on 13th Sept for some Irish Country/Trad. I'm playing there!

Bother!
I will be on holiday in Ireland from 10th to 17th!
First time across to Ireland. We're taking the ferry across to Dublin from Holyhead, staying three nights on the outskirts of Dublin (Dun Laoghaire) then move south for four nights in a farmhouse, somewhere out in the sticks between New Ross and Waterford.
Thanks for letting me know anyway.
What's your instrument, I'm a 12 string guitar player - Simon and Patrick.
--
Stuart Winsor

Hi Stuart, I play bass and do vocals. We (me & SWMBO) are of to Ireland on the 20th to the 30th, heading down to Kenmare in the Kerry area, 7th time in 6 years. Does this say something about the place? Enjoy your holiday, I'm sure you're going to love the place
Micky

Hmmm, that's interesting.
You live in the area?
Our regular bass player decided to go into the ministry and is now a curate in Bedworth. They also have a new baby and he is unable to play for us anymore. There's a close friend of mine who is a first rate guitarist and bassist who we sometimes rope in but he's a busy man and sometime's we are stuck.
Your email address has been noted :-)
We use traditional tunes - jigs, reels, hornpipes - mostly english Morris and dance but there are some scottish and irish tunes thrown in for good measure.
Graham, who leads our band, when he is not playing melodeon or six-string guitar, has a very nice Armstrong acoustic bass.
Yes I know we're moving O/T but guitars are made of wood and I've often fancied having a go at making one. However, a bowed Psaltry might be my starter into the world of musical instrument making because there aren't any fancy curves to produce.
Stuart.
--
Stuart Winsor