INSPIRATION - Boats

I've never seen any of these. They must have all ben surpressed by politicians. Probably. Whoever makes one first, be sure to post pictures.

JOAT You'll never get anywhere if you believe what you "hear". What do you "know"?.

- Granny Weatherwax

Reply to
J T

I haven't freelanced for Pop. Science in something close over 20 years, but back then, and for decades earlier, they were known as the "What's New" magazine. In the '30s, '40s (when I first started reading Gus's Garage and other articles) and '50s, it was more of a What's Coming (Maybe) magazine.

I'm not sure what it is now, as I stopped reading when they stopped publishing any appreciable DIY material.

Reply to
Charlie Self

What? You mean you _don't_ have a five-pontoon-cylinder boat driven by a 500 HP engine driving an airplane propellor?! That's just not right. I think we should take up a collection to help the man out... ;)

RicodJour

Wed, Nov 28, 2007, 4:57am (EST-3) snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com (Charlie=A0Self) doth sayeth: but back then, and for decades earlier, they were known as the "What's New" magazine. In the '30s, '40s (when I first started reading Gus's Garage and other articles) and '50s, it was more of a What's Coming (Maybe) magazine.

Loved those articles whenever I could get ahold of any old issues. Some of the other magazines used to have some similar articles too, Popular Mechanics, etc. Walking battle machines, continuous flying blimps with landing fields on them, and so on, my kind of thinkers.

I remember an article in a can't remember which magazine about a WWII tanker vet that made a small one-man tracked crawler, powered by a small one-cylinder engine. He used it to go deer hunting and to carry his deer out. No plans as I recall, but enouch information and pictures to tell how it was put together and worked. I've been looking for that article for a year or more, no luck so far. I want to make something like that, to use as a jukyard crawler. Any clue?

Wed, Nov 28, 2007, 6:59am (EST-3) snipped-for-privacy@worldemail.com (RicodJour) doth sayeth: What? You mean you _don't_ have a five-pontoon-cylinder boat driven by a

500 HP engine driving an airplane propellor?! That's just not right. I think we should take up a collection to help the man out... ;)

Damn right. Listen to the man.

JOAT You'll never get anywhere if you believe what you "hear". What do you "know"?.

- Granny Weatherwax

Reply to
J T

I remember that one--I think the article was something like "Build your own bulldozer". Would have been in the mid-to-late '60s or early '70s I think. This is one where the Reader's Guide to Periodical Literature would be your friend.

Reply to
J. Clarke

Oh, yeah! Is that on-line yet?

Reply to
Charlie Self

Wed, Nov 28, 2007, 12:19pm snipped-for-privacy@cox.net (J.=A0Clarke) doth sayeth: I remember that one--I think the article was something like "Build your own bulldozer". Would have been in the mid-to-late '60s or early '70s I think. This is one where the Reader's Guide to Periodical Literature would be your friend.

I don't remember that one at all - of course I was in the Army from

1960 on, so would have easily missed it.. The issue I'm thinking about was, I think, around the 1949-50 or so range, and there was a picture (drawing I believe) of the guy sitting on a low tracked crawler, out in the woods, obviously deer hunting. The story said he was a tanker in the big war, and missed it, so designed and made his own tracked vehicle.

JOAT You'll never get anywhere if you believe what you "hear". What do you "know"?.

- Granny Weatherwax

Reply to
J T

I found one from 1950 but it was pedal-powered and kid-sized.

The one I remember either had plans or a kit or both.

Reply to
J. Clarke

Wed, Nov 28, 2007, 3:51pm snipped-for-privacy@cox.net (J.=A0Clarke) doth sayeth: I found one from 1950 but it was pedal-powered and kid-sized. The one I remember either had plans or a kit or both.

Sounds interesting. Something like that should be easy enough to scale up, and ad a small one-cylinder engine. But is it actual tracks, or phoney tracks hiding wheels? If it's real tracks I'd like to know how I could get a copy. If it's wheels, I'm not interested.

Sounds like the Struck Company. They're still in business, but I'm not sure if they still offer kits, I don't think they still offer plans.

'll never get anywhere if you believe what you "hear". What do you "know"?.

- Granny Weatherwax

Reply to
J T

Sounds like fun! I'll contribute and help build if i can get a ride in that thing

Skip

Skip Williams

A friend of mine built one of the Struck bulldozers from the plans. As I remember it the only things that he bought from them were the transmission and the tracks. He put a 2 cylinder Robin hay bailer engine on it and used it to plow snow. I once saw him sitting on it on top of a 12 foot high pile of snow (NY State) that he had made from clearing his drive and parking area. That thing really worked.

I can put you in touch with him if you are interested.

Charley

Sounds interesting. Something like that should be easy enough to scale up, and ad a small one-cylinder engine. But is it actual tracks, or phoney tracks hiding wheels? If it's real tracks I'd like to know how I could get a copy. If it's wheels, I'm not interested.

Sounds like the Struck Company. They're still in business, but I'm not sure if they still offer kits, I don't think they still offer plans.

You'll never get anywhere if you believe what you "hear". What do you "know"?.

- Granny Weatherwax

Reply to
Charley

Wed, Nov 28, 2007, 8:52pm snipped-for-privacy@bellsouth.net (Skip=A0Williams) generously says: Sounds like fun! I'll contribute and help build if i can get a ride in that thing

Send enough money and you won't even need to work on it to get a ride.

JOAT Even Popeye didn't eat his spinach until he had to.

Reply to
J T

Thu, Nov 29, 2007, 11:25am snipped-for-privacy@carolina.rr.com (Charley) doth sayeth: A friend of mine built one of the Struck bulldozers from the plans. As I remember it the only things that he bought from them were the transmission and the tracks. I can put you in touch with him if you are interested.

I could figure out how to drive it, if I need to (jackshafts, chains, belts, etc.), because I wouldn't buy a transmission from them - don't have a lot of disposable income. My main problem is figuring how to make my own tracks - I'm not buying them either. But if the guy still has the plans, and I could get a copy, then yeah, I'd be interested; it'd probably save some searching. Appreciate the thought.

JOAT Even Popeye didn't eat his spinach until he had to.

Reply to
J T

Here's all I've got on it--it's not much

Sounds like the Struck Company. They're still in business, but

Reply to
J. Clarke

Thu, Nov 29, 2007, 12:10pm snipped-for-privacy@cox.net (J.=A0Clarke) doth say: Here's all I've got on it--it's not much

Every time I try to connect with the link, my system kicks off. But I was able to use webscissors and get a look. Pretty neat. Too bad no plans.