Importing hardwood...

Im not sure if this post is appropriate to this newsgroup but I hope someone can give me some insight into the importing of hardwood. I have a source which has access to various hardwoods in another country and wants to import them to the UK, I am trying to find buyers for this wood. Unfortunately I know very little about the timber industry, could someone possibly point me to a resource which may give me information on how companies buy wood, terminology that is used, quantities etc.
any help would be appreciated,
Alex
Alex wrote:

I'm also interested in the answer. My daughter is in Honduras for the next six months and its got the ol' wheels turnin'.
Nova wrote:

I imported some machine parts in from China (to the US) and the USDA impounded the shipment until it was determined that the shipment did not contain any "solid wood". I assume they were worried about native Asian wood-borne "bugs" being introduced into our ecosystem.
You might want to contact the Brit equivalent of the US Department of Agriculture and see what they say. Just a thought.....
I've traveled to most parts of the world so I've checked a couple of times on what it would take to ship some logs into the U.S. It just seemed to much hassle unless you were going to be shipping quite a bit (i.e. the initial hassle/log goes down as the number of logs goes up). If someone knows of the secret handshake I'd love to hear about it as well for my next overseas trip (anything good in India?).
--
Larry C in Auburn, WA

"Nova" < snipped-for-privacy@adelphia.net> wrote in message
On Sat, 14 Feb 2004 20:17:52 GMT, "Larry C in Auburn, WA"
Have you been to Tawau, Sabah, East Malaysia? They use to have the finest tropical hardwoods. There is a specie call "Changnai" (spelling?). It is very hard and resistance to rot. These woods are use to make Chinese's traditional coffin (casket) and outdoors furniture.

I don't know where the first two places are, but I've been to Malaysia many times. There are lots of nice hardwoods in many countries, but I haven't found that it's easy to important any logs or boards from them.
--
Larry C in Auburn, WA