If you make toys...

Page 4 of 4

It is my understanding that there are NO loopholes of this kind, that is were the complaint comes in.
<To day I spoke with The Southern Artists Federation, The Kentucky Arts Council, The Tennessee Artists and Craftsman Association, Artists Associations in north and south Carolina and in Alabama. All of the groups are alarmed by CPSIA and are taking steps to change it as well as notifing all of thier members to write in to the CPSC site and thier congressman. I also spoke the Wendy Rosen (if you don't know her do a google, it is fasanating) and she is going to look into it and see what she can do about it from a corporate level. She also advised me to ignore it for the time being since she feels that CPSC will not be able to inforce it except for imports and then not very well. According to her the act was sponsered by a MO senator (no cosponser) and tacked on to another bill so no one in congress really knew anything about it. I also spoke to a staffer from Senator Bunning's office who asked if this was real? She had been to the handmadetoyalliance web site and read it there and had a copy of the act, but was unable to get through to the CPSC office. She said that the office will close Friday untill Jan. 5 and the Senator said that if they have not gotten a reply by then, they would have a reply in his office and an explaniation of what is going on. She also wanted to know how many Kentuckians are affected by this, I told her a few hundred and she said she had heard for most of them. So the ball is rolling we will see how far it goes.
Curran Copeland
sweet sawdust wrote:

Good luck to you on this; hopefully this ill-considered legislation can be reversed. Leave it to the federal government to swat flies by wildly swinging a sledge hammer. That MO senator wouldn't happen to have been Claire McCaskill would it?

Ms Rosen did not give any names just state, It might be good to luck it up though and see who sponsered it.
I sent an email to the League of NH Craftsmen tonight.
I did some digging on the CPSC site and found the manual for testing for sharp points, sharp edges and durability regulations.
http://www.cpsc.gov/businfo/testtoys.pdf
And found this little gem:
"A sample shall consist of at least 12 subsamples"
So, if I want to make a custom toy for someone I have to make 13 of them and then send 12 off to be tested.
Just trying to figure out which of these regulations actually applies to anything is enough to give you a headache.
-Kevin
This deal is getting scary, this morning at 7:30 am CST I recieved a call from the office of my state (not federal) representive. He wants to get onboard to help fight this Act and use the resources of the state. I know he does not open his office untill 9 am and closes for three weeks during Christmas until the first full week after new years.

Curran-
I spoke with a person at the Consumer Product Safety Commission yesterday regarding the third party lab testing fees. They have been hearing from several hand crafted toymakers about this issue. As of right now, the fees will go into effect. He said that they are working on a way to redefine the way it reads so that hand crafted toys made from products that have already been tested for lead don't have to be tested again. In about a month or so they are going to release some clarifications regarding the issues that have been brought up. I will follow up with the CPSC in January and forward to you a copy of the document they release when I get it. Please feel free to call me or email if you have any further questions.
Carrie Haas
United States Senator Jim Bunning (R-KY)
(202) 224-4343

Well that sounds promising. But that wouldn't seem to cover the fact that wood doesn't need to be tested in the first place. And that's just the lead aspect, there's still the testing for all the other regulations.
-Kevin
has been recalled due to high levels of lead or the fact that it falls apart when used, Looks like the gov would want to encourage high quality domestic goods instead of forcing it out of existence.
A couple of interesting articles:
http://www.7dvt.com/2008new-safety-law-no-fun-vts-artisan-toymakers
And then the first comment on this page is VERY interesting:
http://www.7dvt.com/2008new-safety-law-no-fun-vts-artisan-toymakers
"I havent heard a single legitimate concern yet."
Right. Try actually reading the law instead of talking about what you think it says.
-Kevin
snipped-for-privacy@YAHOO.COM wrote:

Uh, that's the same as the previous page you linked.

--John

Whoops.
http://grecowoodcrafting.wordpress.com/2008/12/18/more-on-the-cpsia /
The first comment is from the guy quoted in the above link, who basically says we're all in a conspiracy.
-Kevin