If you make toys...

Guess you are out of favor huh?

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Yep.. but someone can take my place... I got out 2 years ago...

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Reply to
mac davis

I think the word "millionaire" is out of date... You need almost that much to buy a POS house in some places..

I agree with the point, though.. Folks like Bill Gates weren't trust fund kids by any means..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Reply to
mac davis

I just got off the phone with the USCPA and in a nut shell I'm screwed. This act will only cover items made for children, ALL ITEMS MADE FOR CHILDREN, and has NO exemptions at this time. Any item that is made for a child is covered and will have to be tested. by a third party. The only light at the end of the tunnel is that they are considering a compliance for small business that may be less stringent but at this time it is not in effect. Even when it goes into effect if it does it will mean a lot of paperwork.

Reply to
Curran Copeland

Just a question, are you engaged in interstate commerce? If you are selling locally, you may have an out since the fed is only authorized to regulate interstate and foreign commerce.

Reply to
Mark & Juanita

I sell items all over the country, close to 75% of my sales are out of state and about 2% international.

Reply to
Curran Copeland

I don't suppose a "For Adult use only" sticker would work . . .

I know there are lots of interesting disclaimers on products that seem only there to avoid lawsuits or to dodge some regulation. For example, check out any box of Q-tips to learn that you are not ever supposed to use them in your ears. Seriously, it's on every box, and even on the generic brands.

Just idly speculating. I don't make toys for sale.

Bill Ranck Blacsburg, Va.

Reply to
ranck

Put an 18+ age sticker on each one, and don't market them as toys.

Reply to
basilisk

Since the toys I make are old style and could be considered for the collectors market, I know some people who buy them strictly for decoration, I am thinking about it, I am going to have to check with a lawer and see if it would make a difference. I thilnk I might be on thin ice with it but it's worth a look. Thanks to you and baslisk for the idea

Reply to
Curran Copeland

Well, I would think that you'd have to have a pretty big operation to warrant any notice. In other words, who's going to complain? As long as you don't poison anyone I doubt you'd come to anyone's attention. Worst case, they'd probably just make you stop selling if they ever did notice. I could understand not wanting to take that chance, but I wouldn't blame someone who did. Again, assuming they aren't using anything toxic, which I'm sure you aren't.

Bill Ranck Blacksburg, Va.

Reply to
ranck

You would thank so wouldn't you. The problem is that if you are caught you get a nice fine and possible jail time. Since I sell in a few high profile areas I could be noticed and asked to produce the paper work. If I were just doing local shows then I would probably thumb my nose at them and take my chances, the only thing to worry about is someone like me who has to do the paper work turning you in, and I don't do that many shows anyway. Would I turn anyone in, well I have seen some pretty crappy toys out there and I might one of the guys who makes stuff cheap and doesn't care but otherwise no way.

Reply to
Curran Copeland

As long as nobody's kid manages to choke on a piece of it. It used to be that if a kid choked on a button it was the kid's fault, or the parents for not watching the kid--now it's the button-maker's fault for not either making the button bigger or putting a warning label on it.

Reply to
J. Clarke

Hope it didn't hit you in the ass. :-)

Reply to
-MIKE-

Reply to
Jim Northey

Nah. He most likely backed out and the door hit him in the teeth.

Reply to
David G. Nagel

The way I read it and the way it was explalined to me is that those will be treated as purchased/sold items (even though they are given away) and will be subject to the requirments of the ACT.

Any one got a better take on it feel free to enlighten me, I would love to be wrong here.

Reply to
Curran Copeland

Is it even possible to buy lead based paint in the US?

Reply to
LD

Yes. Winsor & Newton 246 Flake White 1, normally in stock at Blick Art Supplies for 5 bucks a tube is one example.

You're not going to find it in a can at Home Despot though.

Reply to
J. Clarke

It gets worse... A few years ago in Central Calif., there was an attorney with a couple of token clients that were handicapped.

He specialized in going to small businesses and finding violations of the Disability Act.. Improper entry doors, pipes under sinks not fully insulated, etc...

He would then sue in the name of his client, aiming for an out of court settlement, since most small businesses can't afford a long legal battle....

He was very successful and got a lot of settlements for his "clients", none of whom had ever been in any of the places that "they" were suing.. Also, none of the businesses had received any complaints or requests from customers..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Reply to
mac davis

Nope... we love it here (Baja) and don't want to ever go back...