If you make toys...

Ms Rosen did not give any names just state, It might be good to luck it up though and see who sponsered it.

Reply to
sweet sawdust

This deal is getting scary, this morning at 7:30 am CST I recieved a call from the office of my state (not federal) representive. He wants to get onboard to help fight this Act and use the resources of the state. I know he does not open his office untill 9 am and closes for three weeks during Christmas until the first full week after new years.

Reply to
sweet sawdust

hmm... my customers that take stuff back to the States are in for a bit of fun! lol

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Reply to
mac davis

On Tue, 16 Dec 2008 17:43:00 +0000, Curran Copeland wrote (in article ):

How does the law stand on small volume production clearly labelled "Made by Craftsmen. Does not comply with statute..blah... " ? or something more cleverly worded. Is there provision for this?

I was wondering if there was some sort of loophole such as re-classifying certain items as "furniture" rather than toys in the short-term. Obviously it would be difficult to justify small stuff, but maybe rocking horse type gizmos or anything a kid _could_ sit on.. ?

Just thinking aloud, but desperate times / desperate measures...

Meanwhile, good luck with the campaign, everybody.

Reply to
Bored Borg

It is my understanding that there are NO loopholes of this kind, that is were the complaint comes in.

Reply to
sweet sawdust

You may have found the answer! Since the law only covers items sold in the US maybe we need to move all crafts shows etc out of country.

Reply to
sweet sawdust

Curran-

I spoke with a person at the Consumer Product Safety Commission yesterday regarding the third party lab testing fees. They have been hearing from several hand crafted toymakers about this issue. As of right now, the fees will go into effect. He said that they are working on a way to redefine the way it reads so that hand crafted toys made from products that have already been tested for lead don't have to be tested again. In about a month or so they are going to release some clarifications regarding the issues that have been brought up. I will follow up with the CPSC in January and forward to you a copy of the document they release when I get it. Please feel free to call me or email if you have any further questions.

Carrie Haas

United States Senator Jim Bunning (R-KY)

(202) 224-4343

Reply to
Curran Copeland

Well that sounds promising. But that wouldn't seem to cover the fact that wood doesn't need to be tested in the first place. And that's just the lead aspect, there's still the testing for all the other regulations.

-Kevin

Reply to
LEGEND65

I agree but at least it's a start in the right direction, they are beginning to listen. I saw to day the more Chinese c@#p has been recalled due to high levels of lead or the fact that it falls apart when used, Looks like the gov would want to encourage high quality domestic goods instead of forcing it out of existence.

Reply to
Curran Copeland

A couple of interesting articles:

then the first comment on this page is VERY interesting:

"I haven=92t heard a single legitimate concern yet."

Right. Try actually reading the law instead of talking about what you think it says.

-Kevin

Reply to
LEGEND65

Reply to
J. Clarke

Whoops.

first comment is from the guy quoted in the above link, who basically says we're all in a conspiracy.

-Kevin

Reply to
LEGEND65