If you make toys...

Page 2 of 4
Curran Copeland wrote:
<...and Morris reformatted>

Yuppers, it is; and I fully understand the disgust.
I *like* sunshine! I think they don't get enough of it in DC. :)
--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar

Well that's the first encouraging response I've heard.
-Kevin
"Curran Copeland" wrote:

He was way too....oo busy getting re-elected to do anything constructive.
BTW, did you contribute to his re-election campaign?
Lew

Not since back when I worked for and with him before he bacame a Senator. >

"Curran Copeland" wrote:

Guess you are out of favor huh?
Lew
Curran Copeland wrote:

Despite what far left politicians, who make their livings exploiting and perpetuating class warfare (most of whom came from old money, ironically) would have you believe, ninety percent of millionaires in this country are first generation rich.
--

-MIKE-

I think the word "millionaire" is out of date... You need almost that much to buy a POS house in some places..
I agree with the point, though.. Folks like Bill Gates weren't trust fund kids by any means..
mac
Please remove splinters before emailing

I just got off the phone with the USCPA and in a nut shell I'm screwed. This act will only cover items made for children, ALL ITEMS MADE FOR CHILDREN, and has NO exemptions at this time. Any item that is made for a child is covered and will have to be tested. by a third party. The only light at the end of the tunnel is that they are considering a compliance for small business that may be less stringent but at this time it is not in effect. Even when it goes into effect if it does it will mean a lot of paperwork.
Curran Copeland wrote:

Just a question, are you engaged in interstate commerce? If you are selling locally, you may have an out since the fed is only authorized to regulate interstate and foreign commerce.

I sell items all over the country, close to 75% of my sales are out of state and about 2% international.
Put an 18+ age sticker on each one, and don't market them as toys.
Basilisk

I don't suppose a "For Adult use only" sticker would work . . .
I know there are lots of interesting disclaimers on products that seem only there to avoid lawsuits or to dodge some regulation. For example, check out any box of Q-tips to learn that you are not ever supposed to use them in your ears. Seriously, it's on every box, and even on the generic brands.
Just idly speculating. I don't make toys for sale.
Bill Ranck Blacsburg, Va.
<.

Since the toys I make are old style and could be considered for the collectors market, I know some people who buy them strictly for decoration, I am thinking about it, I am going to have to check with a lawer and see if it would make a difference. I thilnk I might be on thin ice with it but it's worth a look. Thanks to you and baslisk for the idea

Well, I would think that you'd have to have a pretty big operation to warrant any notice. In other words, who's going to complain? As long as you don't poison anyone I doubt you'd come to anyone's attention. Worst case, they'd probably just make you stop selling if they ever did notice. I could understand not wanting to take that chance, but I wouldn't blame someone who did. Again, assuming they aren't using anything toxic, which I'm sure you aren't.
Bill Ranck Blacksburg, Va.

You would thank so wouldn't you. The problem is that if you are caught you get a nice fine and possible jail time. Since I sell in a few high profile areas I could be noticed and asked to produce the paper work. If I were just doing local shows then I would probably thumb my nose at them and take my chances, the only thing to worry about is someone like me who has to do the paper work turning you in, and I don't do that many shows anyway. Would I turn anyone in, well I have seen some pretty crappy toys out there and I might one of the guys who makes stuff cheap and doesn't care but otherwise no way.
snipped-for-privacy@vt.edu wrote:

As long as nobody's kid manages to choke on a piece of it. It used to be that if a kid choked on a button it was the kid's fault, or the parents for not watching the kid--now it's the button-maker's fault for not either making the button bigger or putting a warning label on it.

--John

It gets worse... A few years ago in Central Calif., there was an attorney with a couple of token clients that were handicapped.
He specialized in going to small businesses and finding violations of the Disability Act.. Improper entry doors, pipes under sinks not fully insulated, etc...
He would then sue in the name of his client, aiming for an out of court settlement, since most small businesses can't afford a long legal battle....
He was very successful and got a lot of settlements for his "clients", none of whom had ever been in any of the places that "they" were suing.. Also, none of the businesses had received any complaints or requests from customers..
mac
Please remove splinters before emailing
"Curran Copeland" wrote

A lawyer will NEVER give you a definitive answer ... it is against his financial interests.
At the most, you will be painted a grey picture full of "if's", "and's" and "but's", the decision will still be yours to make, as well as the consequences of same.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08
On Dec 12, 1:48 pm, snipped-for-privacy@vt.edu wrote:

.
Won't work.
What is the definition of a children's product and how will the age cutoffs be determined? A "childrens product" means a consumer product designed or intended primarily for children 12 years of age or younger. In determining whether a consumer product is primarily intended for a child 12 years of age or younger, the following factors will be considered: * A statement by the manufacturer about the intended use of the product, including a label on the product if such statement is reasonable. * Whether the product is represented in its packaging, display, promotion or advertising as appropriate for use by children 12 years of age or younger. * Whether the product is commonly recognized by consumers as being intended for use by a child 12 years of age or younger. * The Age Determination Guidelines issued by the Commission staff in September 2002, and any successor to such guidelines.
The third and fourth ones are where you are screwed.
-Kevin

[...]
You are right there!!!!!