Ideas for a 13yr old

Hi,

I was wondering what sort of plans would be good for me to make. I am 13, have a drill, jigsaw & sander as well as some hand tools and I enjoy woodwork / carpentry. Please can you post back with any suitable plans as I am a beginner. :) Thanks

Reply to
Sam Berlyn

you got some good answers last time you asked this question:

this is not a place where plans are posted. they are sometimes linked to from here, however. thing is your question is too general for much of an answer beyond what you have been already given.

so. we teach you to fish.

you got recommendations to start with: birdhouses. Furniture for your room. CD rack. boxes. whirlygigs. bench. table. shelf.

you even got some links to plans:

you never even said thank you.

of course, it's possible that for whatever reason you never saw those replies. so I'm gonna send this to you via email too. but you really should use a better newsreader than outlook. it *really* sucks. I recommend agent:

to use google. there are lots of plans out there on the web. try searches like:

you will have to do a bit of searching around....

and when you have more questions, come on back to rec.woodworking.

Reply to
bridger

To all that I would add, the first thing you need is a need or desire for something. Building frim froings and blim boozles just because they're something you can make with the tools you have isn't a terribly inspiring way to go about getting into woodworking.

For example, I don't particularly *like* birds, so why do I want to build birdhouses? You can still do some interesting stuff with the tools you (the original poster) have. I can't be bothered to go dig up the exact URL, but if you follow my .sig (signature, at the bottom of this message) you can find a gigantic plant stand I made with no more than a backsaw and miter box, a jigsaw, an electric drill and a screwdriver, in my *kitchen*. It was one of my first woodworking projects, and the largest thing I had ever built. It still amazes me that the thing actually wound up being the right size for the space.

The driving force behind that was one of simple need. I needed a big plant stand to take advantage of a big window, and none of the commercially-available models were anywhere near big enough.

What do you *need*? What do you *want* to build? Answer those questions, and then we'll help you figure out how to make it with the tools you have.

Reply to
Silvan

Sam, Welcome to woodworking.

With the tools you stated, try making some Christmas (or other holiday) themed yard art.

Small projects abound for a willing student. Search Google for free plans.

Dave

Reply to
TeamCasa

When I was your age, I made a couple of things from a book called "Making Wooden Banks." I would go the library (or book store) and browse the woodworking section for ideas. There are a lot of books on making toys, outdoor furniture, etc.

Christmas ornaments are a great thing to make on the jig saw. All it takes is thin stock and a design. For the stock, you can use individual pieces of lattice from Home Depot or 1/4" plywood. For the design, you can certian draw your own, or find a design you like a copy it. Photocopiers are useful for enlarging or reducing a design.

Of course you don't need to have a plan to build anything. You can make up your own plan!

Mark

Reply to
Mark Wells