I was wondering...

...what would happen this year.

At 3pm today the kitchen light, a 6' fluorescent tube, started flickering, then it got worse, then went off, then came back on...

Arse! Luckily B&Q was still open and completely empty except for the staff congregating near the doors. Every year something like this happens!

Si

Reply to
Mungo "Two Sheds" Toadfoot

Emergency trip to Tesco for washing-up liquid. It was either that or wash the crocks with my L'Occitan En Provence shower gel.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

I assumed that one of your sheds would be full of every conceivable spare part to cover such an eventuality!

Reply to
Roger Mills

You were wondering, but were you thinking? Think about it now. What is everyone doing at 3pm on a Christmas eve? clue: in the kitchen. What's that likely to do to the electricity supply? You have a dodgy fluorescent on its last legs.

Eureka.

Reply to
Graham

Didn't you want your teapot to have the peppery, nutmeg scent of burnt wood?

Reply to
Andy Hall

so you bought a tube only to find later that it was a dead starter? Pretty minor thanks to table lamps.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Heretic! I don't wash teapots - they're supposed to be brown inside - at least not until I'm taken to hospital with tannin poisoning.

I suppose I could stir a few drops into the mulled wine though ...

Owain

Reply to
Owain

My laserprinter has developed a BER type fault...anyone with an old HP laserjet 6P they don't need...?

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

You've got David Guest doing the washing up?

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon

Aidan Karley wrote: I'll draw a veil over the next couple of hours, save to say that

What was the con?

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

You'd think! I know there's at least 5 starters in one of them but no spare tubes at all.

One of the sheds, though, has recently been taken over by a fairly sizeable motorcycle [1] garnered from the wonderful and aptly named Freecycle so it's more of an 8'x6' bike storage facility now. I won't be changing my name to reflect this but I have had to... *sob* ...throw some stuff away and do some compacting. It hurt.

Si

[1]
Mungo "Two Sheds" Toadfoot

*Slaps head*

If only I had your foresight - I would have replaced the tube the day before.

;)

Si

Reply to
Mungo "Two Sheds" Toadfoot

But what was the con/scam? I colllect info on these, I would really like to know.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

You got *that* from *freecycle*?

David

Reply to
Lobster

'Fraid so :)

It had lived in the original purchaser's garage, untouched, for the last ten of its eighteen years and was filthy but not particularly rusty apart from the inside of the fuel tank. After a lot of cleaning and polishing, changing of oil and fork seals, cleaning of tank and carbs, off it went!

To say I am chuffed with it is an enormous understatement.

Si

Reply to
Mungo "Two Sheds" Toadfoot

You know, just after I posted the above I thought to myself, "Duh, he meant it as a joke - how stupid will I look now in front of the rest of the uk.d-i-y fraternity...."

Reply to
Lobster

Um...no, I didn't.

"Yamaha 'Virago' VX 535 (E-Reg 0ne of the first in this country) This fantastic bike has not been ridden for 10 years and is slowly decaying in my garage. It is rusty and badly in need of restoration BUT, if anyone has the time and energy I'm sure the engine and gearbox are sound. It could be a fantastic bike. I have the original handbook for it."

Si

Reply to
Mungo "Two Sheds" Toadfoot