Disappearing product-line

A year ago at Wickes came across a product I was surprised I had not seen before. Over the years I've got tired of traditional linseed oil putty drying and cracking. On the shelves were 5Kg tubs of mastic 'putty' that would not harden. Ideal for bodging-up/filling rotten window frames and missing putty. I go there today and 3 of the staff including a manager-type look at me as though I'm deluded. When I return I will have an empty tub with me with Wickes product code number on it Non-Setting Mastic - Brown Non-Setting glazing compound. I dropped into ( sited near the original ) Block & Quayle ( B&Q) and they must have thought I was asking for hen's teeth - no such product there either. Where can I get hold of tubs, not overblown-priced tubes of this stuff. ? It can only be chalk powder mixed with an oil and dyestuff.

Humour of the streets.

N Cook

If it were chalk and oil you could make it yourself - but I dont see how that would do anything other than fall to the floor.

why not choose glazing sililcone? Its long lived and flexible, so I'm not clear what the advantage is with the non-set.

Regards, NT

Reply to
N. Thornton

It's made from clay and oil, rather than chalk and oil. Linseed oil which will set after a time. And yes you coudl make it yourself if you wanted to, glaziers used to.

Reply to
Steve Firth