I was finally horrified by one of norm's finishes

Page 1 of 3

I know, I know, hard to believe isn't it? In the past, many people have complained about norm's abuse of stain and poly. I've been mostly ambivalent about the subject up until now.
The latest NYW in the tivo was this really cool corner table where half of the table was a drop-leaf. But what was really striking was the wood choice. The first part of the show talked about how this white oak was pulled out of a civil war era dam on a river in virgina iirc. After resawing, the *white oak* looked like a charcoal color, almost silvery, on the television. He complained about being able to get enough of the wood for the two projects. And the color wasn't exactly uniform across the table top. But still, the color was awesome.
Can anyone guess what he did? He stained it with dark walnut stain to "even out the color". This thing was screaming for just a clear finish. Now, I agree that the top had been glued up with boards that were unfortunately a different color. But couldn't he have done something else? Couldn't he have selected a different board? Put the light wood in the back or something? He glued up five of the boards to be able to make the table legs, and there was a aweful lot of waste. Couldn't he have done the first project in some other wood, saving the good wood for the second one he does for the camera? Anything?
brian

I saw the preview of that episode but not the show yet. The table looked like he spray painted it black from an aerosol can.

Yeah that's about right. As he brushed on the stain, the mixture of the dark wood and walnut stain just turned it jet black. It really seemed like he was annoyed with the wood and the supplier. He also said that he had to add a couple dutchmans to cover some nail holes. To me, I'd show that off as a character piece, either leaving the nail hole or showing the dutchman. With the stain, I'm sure the patches disappeared.
brian

I brought up a similar question reguarding the shop clock. Somebody commented that in HD the clock he stained dark was made out of sub-par walnut.....Of course after I brought it up I noticed that the clock he kept in the shop was unfinished.
While I hate to defend the intentional staining of wood, in Norm's case he's usually making a replica of an antique which had a dark finish.
Gary

I can certainly appreciate doing a reproduction piece. But in this case, if he were doing a reproduction, why not use walnut, cherry, or qswo? I think a unique wood deserves a unique piece with a finish to show off the unusual grain or color.
brian

NYW is shot in HD? Which stations show it in HD? The local PBS affiliate (in Raleigh, NC) shows it in SD.
-jav

It was this post I was referring to.

Gary
GeeDubb said:

Uhh... I guess that would have been me.
Atlanta PBA - Terrestrial ATSC broadcast channel: 21.1 515000 khz - Video PID: 49 - Audio PID: 52 - Transport Stream ID: 747
Before the recent republican cuts to the PBS budget, they were broadcasting considerable content at 1920x1080 res, but since, it's been mostly SD, small HD, and non-16:9 content.
Now don't get too excited and run out and buy one of those bug infested HDTV receivers just yet. The video looks as though it has been touched by analog equipment, but it is broadcast in HD, but NOT 16:9. It is HD but not wide aspect ratio. ( SD is 740x480 or less)
Here is a frame - if you care to see the lumpy parts. Native broadcast resolution, about 1400x1080:
http://webpages.charter.net/videodoctor/images/norm0605.jpg
I would link you to a video clip, but a 15 second raw transport stream clip of the finishing sequence is about 13.616 Mb. Re-encoded into a DVD resolution MPEG-2/AC3 stream, it is still 6 Mb. A full 25 minute NYW episode is around 4 Gigs of TS data.
FWIW,
Greg G.

LOL!
Yeah, the Superbowl in HD was AWFUL (rolling eyes!).

The broadcast may be HD, but if the video isn't 16:9, it's certainly not shot in HD.
Larry Bud said:

I wouldn't know - who wants, or has time, to sit in front of the tube for 3 hours? What I do know is that more money is spent on eye-candy and tweaking the HDTV broadcasts of football games in the US than any other material, because that's what sells TVs, gas-grills, 6 bladed razors and $200B in Chinese imports. Inexplicably, sports broadcasts are the premiere example of the medium.
But there are issues with HDTV at this point in time. glaring A/V Sync problems, gross artifacts from mangled bit streams and MPEG2 encoding, lockups in confused digital equipment, etc. Consumer response has been tepid at best, and most early adopters of this technology, like most others, pay a premium for the privilege of working the bugs out.
This isn't only _my_ opinion, see: Implementation Subcommittee Finding, IS/191, ATSC Implementation Subcommittee Finding: Relative Timing of Sound and Vision for Broadcast Operations, which is available on the ATSC Web site. http://www.atsc.org/standards/is_191.pdf .
In a nutshell, ITU R BT.1359-1 was carefully considered and found inadequate for purposes of audio and video synchronization for DTV broadcasting.
and http://www.tvtechnology.com/features/Tech-Corner/f_rh_technology_corner-01.07.04.shtml
I've been in the video business for a third of a century, and IMHO, HDTV is not quite ready for prime time, and is being forced down the public's throat. I also feel that in the best interests of National Security, standard NTSC broadcasting and VHF band allocations should be left as is, not only to service an alternate lower tier market, but to provide a simple, durable, proven fallback method of communications. But idiots and their cell-phones are clamoring to claim the frequencies for their superior coverage/penetrating abilities.
IMHO, there are other factors to consider as well. When an EMF burst destroys all these cell-phones, satellites, DTV's and their supporting infrastructure, good old ham radio and NTSC will be the only forms of communications for quite some time.
Unlikely, perhaps, but terrorists & solar activity warn 'be prepared'.

Never claimed that it was shot in HD, and in fact, implied otherwise. The chroma-crawl implies old analog and bad transcoding to DTV.
FWIW,
Greg G.

What's your call? Seems like the only ones who understand the role and capability of ham radio are hams.
K4QG
--
LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite
LRod said:

Sorry to say, haven't maintained a license or rig for 2 decades. Was into it way back in the Heathkit days, but the equipment (and everything else) was destroyed in a mysterious fire. I was then distracted by other things, like survival (and computers). As a youth I climbed far up many a tree to string antennas of various descriptions. Where I lived, it was my sole contact with intelligence (beyond the vicinity...?)
Greg G.
LRod wrote:

And none of the microprocessor controlled ham rigs made in the last 25 years will work either.
Barry (who's Icom aviation handheld will be a doorstop, but he's got a steam gauge airplane and a bicycle)
Greg G. (in snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com) said:
| IMHO, there are other factors to consider as well. When an EMF | burst destroys all these cell-phones, satellites, DTV's and their | supporting infrastructure, good old ham radio and NTSC will be the | only forms of communications for quite some time.
Not too many hams using equipment without semiconductors these days...
Morris Dovey said:

This is true to a degree, but there are still a lot of vintage tube rigs running these days. The actual point, however, is that the technology is easier to build from scratch. Should giant meteors, MW pulses, or large green aliens cripple modern society as it stands, it's good to have a standby technology in the hands of the citizenry to enable basic communications. Radios were built by hand years ago, from basic readily available materials. Can you imagine trying to re-create the infrastructure needed for DTV from scratch... ;-)
FWIW,
Greg G.

I still have the BC-342-N that got me interested in radio in 1950. It survived WW-II and would likely survive EMP, but would I?
Greg G. wrote:

Apparently you haven't been to a Super Bowl party?
I watched ONE game this year, while enjoying awesome homebrew, fried alligator, bacon wrapped scallops, kick-ass cocktail sauces on huge shrimp, a chill contest, and cranberry jello shots, with a whole bunch of other folks who didn't know who half of the guys on the field were. =8^0
Game? What game?
Barry
B a r r y said:

LOL. I guess that is one of the things I resent most about aging. Friends aren't allowed out of the house by their spouses, and parties are pretty much out of the question. So I spend my time working...
They call it 'keeping the peace at home' and 'being responsible'. I call it P-whipped. ;-)
Young people don't want to hang with older and think you're vying for their girlfriends. (Which might just be true when single...)
Funny, I never had these "problems" in Florida, just here in high-stress, paranoid Atlanta.
FWIW,
Greg G.
On 3/4/2006 8:53 AM Greg G. mumbled something about the following:

Like I told you earlier, yer living in the wrong part of Uhlanna. Need to move out my way :)
--
Odinn
RCOS #7 SENS BS ???
Odinn said:

Yeah, I know. However... Having moved umpteen times to escape the ever widening domain of the evil developer-lords, I am looking even farther away. You're on the cusp of rolling clouds of airborne red clay dust, pile drivers, road graders, and tons of Chinese crap packed into strip malls frequented by hordes of co-dependant cell-phone thinkers in 12 MPG SUV's. ;-)
I'm leaning towards ever more distant areas such as the mountains of Northern Alabama, Tennessee, or Western Pennsylvania.
And to think I was born and raised here - way before I-285, I-75, etc ever existed. Lots of changes, but none for the better, IMHO. Even dumped the trusty old CB750F, as riding became a fading pipe dream.
FWIW,
Greg G.