I've Rediscovered WD-40

Hey Phil, Is it really 70 degrees up there. LOL It is a cool 95 degrees here in Houston.

Reply to
Leon

I suspect any oil is going to make ss look good but you like the red tint? ;~)

Reply to
Leon

Oh yeah, always smelled good after cleaning the guns. LOL

Reply to
Leon

from

's formula is a trade secret. The product is not patented to avoid completely disclosing its ingredients. WD-40's main ingredients, according to U.S. Material Safety Data Sheet information, are:

50%: Stoddard solvent (i.e., mineral spirits ? primarily hexane, somewhat similar to kerosene) 25%: Liquefied petroleum gas (presumably as a propellant; carbon dioxide is now used instead to reduce WD-40's considerable flammability) 15+%: Mineral oil (light lubricating oil) 10-%: Inert ingredients

IOW, what you said.

Reply to
Just Wondering

I don't know, but I looked up his posting pattern and this guy definitely isn't a spammer. He may have lifted a cute anecdote or its parts for the story (or not), but 7 posts in a 10 month period doesn't seem like much of a spam effort.

Anyway, I always keep WD40 around. I don't use it on door locks, machines, and thinking about it, rarely as a lubricant. But it is dandy as its original intent as "Water Displacment formula 40" indicates.

I swab it on my pocket knife blade after using it as cleaner (blade only). I spray sheetmetal flashings to keep zinc oxide from appearing until they are used; if I have a box of nails in the back of the truck and rain is approaching, I spray the top and sides of the box to keep rain and moisture out. After sharpening my beater chisels that get used for everything (sadly....) I wipe them off with WD40 before putting them in the toolbox. My big peanut butter jar of odd screws and fasteners left from various installations gets a spritz to keep the contents from oxidizing while riding in the truck.

It works great on the ends of brass hoses to ease connects and disconnects. Ditto the hose bibb. Works great on the connections and tips for my power washer to keep them easy to connect and disconnect.

Lots of stuff to do with old faithful, you just need to remember lubrication isn't its forte.

Robert

All good ideas, Robert. I especially like the hose bibb fittings and the pressure washer. I'll get right on it!

Phil

Reply to
Phil Anderson

Leon queries:

Gosh, is it 70 already?? HA, yeah, we need Al Gore to visit to raise the ambient temp just a little, I guess. It has been unusually cool and wet this spring/summer.

Phil

Reply to
Phil Anderson

Pick up a can of white lithium spray grease and lose the WD-40; you'll never go back; particularly for locks.

scott

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

My understanding is that it also contains an amount of DMSO (dimethyl sulfoxide), which gives it some of it's solvent/penetrating capability. People were using it (WD40) as an arthritis treatment back in the 70's. This is also a problem because DMSO can dissolve materials and carry them through the skin, into the bloodstream. This means whatever the WD40 dissolves, you're at risk of having get into your blood. In FidoNet conversations, a Ruger Firearms engineer, Ed Harris told me that WD40 was banned from their plants. He claimed it contained chlorine, and was found to cause stress cracking in the stainless steel they used in firearms. I always used his formula "Ed's Red" anyway.

Reply to
lektric dan

NO! It's been hot and dry this summer

Max (in El Paso)

Reply to
Max

I remember you and I'm just up the road near Carnation

MikeM

Reply to
Mike M

WD-40 has changed it's formula a few dozen times over the last 30 years regardless of what their website BS claims.

Reply to
m II

What grade are you in?

Reply to
-MIKE-

Works for while. Try Kroil or PB Blaster if you want a lubricant.

Reply to
J. Clarke

CRC 5-56 was far superior to WD40 as both a water displacer and a lubricant.

LPS 1 as well. LPS2 is a heavier product - better as a lub, not quite as good as a water displacer - but stays on longer than LPS1.

Reply to
clare

I prefer "fluid film" or Lloyds AD2000. AD3000 is a bit heavier (kinda like the LPS1 and LPS2 product.

And yes, in Canada WD40 was convinced to remove "lubricates" from the label.

Now says "stops squeaks, cleans and protects, loosens rusted parts,fres sticky mechanisms,drives out moisture".

No "lubricates" or "penetrates" on the main label. (but still there in the "applications" on the back.)

Reply to
clare

SPAM SPAM SPAM

I've Rediscovered WD-40

5 posts - 4 authors - Last post: yesterday pot that plugs into a timer. I'm the coffee guy, mostly for self- preservation. At the end of the day, I unplug the cord from the ... =E2=96=BA I've Rediscovered WD-40 - rec.woodworking | Google Groups groups.google.com/group/rec.woodworking/.../4f18adbb648ac006 - Cached 2 posts - 1 author - Last post: 2 days ago pot that plugs into a timer. I'm the coffee guy, mostly for self- preservation. At the end of the day, I unplug the cord from the ... I've Rediscovered WD-40 - DIYbanter
=E2=80=BA Do - it - Yourself =E2=80=BA Woodworking - Cach= ed 2 posts - 2 authors pot that plugs into a timer. I'm the coffee guy, mostly for self- preservation. At the end of the day, I unplug the cord from the ... I've Rediscovered WD-40 newsgroups.derkeiler.com =E2=80=BA ... =E2=80=BA Rec =E2=80=BA rec.woodwork= ing =E2=80=BA 2011-07 - CachedJul 14, 2011 =E2=80=93 We have a 60 cup coffee pot that plugs into a timer. I'm the coffee guy, mostly for self-preservation. At the end of the day, ... I've Rediscovered WD-40 - Page 4
=E2=80=BA ... =E2=80=BA I've Rediscovered WD-40 5 posts - 4 authors - Last post: yesterday We have a 60 cup coffee pot that plugs into a timer. > I'm the coffee guy, mostly for self-preservation. At the end of the day, ... I've Rediscovered WD-40 - Page 8
=E2=80=BA ... =E2=80=BA I've Rediscovered WD-40 5 posts - 4 authors - Last post: yesterday We have a 60 cup coffee pot that plugs into a timer. > I'm the coffee guy, mostly for self-preservation. At the end of the day, ... I've Rediscovered WD-40
=E2=80=BA Woodworking Forum - CachedJul 14, 2011 =E2= =80=93 pot that plugs into a timer. I'm the coffee guy, mostly for self- preservation. At the end of the day, I unplug the cord from the ... I've Rediscovered WD-40 - Page 5
=E2=80=BA ... =E2=80=BA I've Rediscovered WD-40 5 posts - 5 authors - Last post: yesterday We have a 60 cup coffee pot that plugs into a timer. > I'm the coffee guy, mostly for self-preservation. At the end of the day, ... I've Rediscovered WD-40 - Page 6
=E2=80=BA ... =E2=80=BA I've Rediscovered WD-40 4 posts - 4 authors - Last post: yesterday We have a 60 cup coffee pot that plugs into a timer. >>> I'm the coffee guy, mostly for self-preservation. At the end of the >>>

day, ... I've Rediscovered WD-40 - Page 7

=E2=80=BA ... =E2=80=BA I've Rediscovered WD-40

5 posts - 5 authors - Last post: yesterday We have a 60 cup coffee pot that plugs into a timer. > I'm the coffee guy, mostly for self-preservation. At the end of the day, ...
Reply to
Gooey

Great for cleaning Nikon lenses too.

**********************
Reply to
routerman

Some quotes from this thread:

This is what I was trying to get at. These types of comments are what caused me to get away from WD-40 in the first place. My point is, I've tried it again and it works, for me. Not for just awhile, not for a couple days, but in one case so far, two years! I KNOW it's not the best lubricant or rust remover or free'er up'er for all situations. I don't believe I would squirt it into the bearings of the motor on my table saw. I also know from personal experience not to spray it into the air inlet on my pneumatic tools. Ate the seals right up! It's NOT the best for everything, but it sure works a treat for some things. And of course, to each his own. Everyone has to use what works for them, no disagreement.

Hope everyone has a great weekend! We were going to go garage saleing, but being in the northwest of Washington, it's a little chilly and raining! S'pose I could go out to the shop for some woodworking. Nahhhhh...

Phil

Reply to
Phil Anderson

Yes, it was refreshing to see someone go against the grain. Everyone really knows that, like duct tape, WP 40 is great for a LOT of stuff.

Same, except I never stopped using it.

No lubricant on earth is the best for all situations. That hardly makes WD40 junk.

Anyway, your post on the subject was superb.

I don't

Reply to
Jack Stein