I've Rediscovered WD-40

The large rubber bushings/gaskets on my 1 1/2" PVC couplings and connections on my pool piping used to be a bitch to tighten and needed at least channel locks to get tight. Once I spray them with WD40 they hand tighten with ease, and no leaks. Works good on regular rubber hose washers as well. Seems to keep them in good shape with no age cracks or dry rotting.

Reply to
Jack Stein

It's a solvent-borne light oil. What's not to like? People who complain about WD are the types who don't use enough to flush out the gunk which had caused the problem in the first place, and they don't use a firmer lubricant afterward.

Nor did I. I go through about 1 can a decade of each of over a dozen lubes and penetrants.

Right. A quick squirt of WD frees and loosens a bearing, and a spray of white lithium or dab of moly keeps it free for another year, etc.

-- Life is an escalator: You can move forward or backward; you can not remain still. -- Patricia Russell-McCloud

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Two indispensable lubricants in my house are WD-40 and Vasoline. I use plain vasoline on my pool fittings and valves instead of the very expensive silicone lubricant that comes in the tiny tubes at pool stores.

Reply to
willshak

I just finishing cleaning the thick black film (crust) that had accumulated on the caulking/sealant on my camping trailer. You know the stuff, kinda like plumbers putty. Looks nice and white at first then turns black. Anyway, WD-40 and a fine stiff brush cleaned it all off, looks nice again. Afterwards used car wash soap and cleaned off the WD-40. Probably could have used kerosine, mineral spirits, or something else but I had the WD-40 in a spray bottle and it worked. Usually I keep some on the trailer and spray the joints, threads on the leveling jacks and other moveable joints. This is to flush and protect. For lock cylinders, however, LPS-1 is the only thing I use.

Ralph

Reply to
Ralph Compton

Hey Mike! Well you've got some of the same weather we have up there in Carnation. Sucks, doesn't it!!

Reply to
Phil Anderson

willshak wrote the following:

Update: The other day I was going through the crap stored in my garage to see what I could throw awayand came across my old softball glove. It was an old Ted Williams model from Sears, and last used about 15 years ago when I played in soft pitch beer leagues and could still run between bases at full gallop. It looked like hell and seemed more destined for the trash than anything else. It had mold in places and the lacing straps were kinda stiff and it didn't fold too easily when I placed it on my hand. Just for kicks and with nothing to lose, I sprayed it all over with WD-40 and rubbed it all in, then wiped it with dry rags. The mold was gone and the laces were soft again. I put it on and it seemed to be as good as new. It's been a couple of days since and it doesn't even have an oily smell, although it does have a slightly darker color.

Reply to
willshak

Wow Will. If it'll do that for an old glove, I'm gonna start using it as a lotion for my old carcass!

Reply to
Doug Winterburn

Carefull, it might soften some parts you don't want softened.

Reply to
clare

Too late :-(

Reply to
Doug Winterburn

It has been some years now, but it was mentioned that a group of people in a 'old age home' was using WD-40 to lube their knees and ankles.

It seemed to work for them - but they had to stop since that was more dangerous with he absorption of chemicals.

The doctor never could help them as much as it did.

Martin

Reply to
Martin Eastburn

Pop that puppy up on eBay for $100 and watch the rush!

-- Progress is the product of human agency. Things get better because we make them better. Things go wrong when we get too comfortable, when we fail to take risks or seize opportunities. -- Susan Rice

Reply to
Larry Jaques

That might work, Doug, if they sell it in drums.

-- Progress is the product of human agency. Things get better because we make them better. Things go wrong when we get too comfortable, when we fail to take risks or seize opportunities. -- Susan Rice

Reply to
Larry Jaques

All that embedded KY didn't help, eh?

-- Progress is the product of human agency. Things get better because we make them better. Things go wrong when we get too comfortable, when we fail to take risks or seize opportunities. -- Susan Rice

Reply to
Larry Jaques

A 90 year old man had business in a less desireable part of town and was approached by a working girl. He started to say no, he just couldn't perform that way any more, but then remembered the can of WD40 in the trunk of his car. You know the rest...

Reply to
Larry W

I'd try it on the missus first. Wimmins don't need much convincing when it comes to "restoration and preservation". In my house, the contents of our bathroom "medicine" chest would make Jiffy-Lube weep with envy.

Reply to
JKevorkian

willshak wrote the following:

After providing a link to the WD-40 site in response to a later message (1:52 PM EDT).

thought I would suggest the softball glove cleaning as another use for WD-40. Alas, someone beat me to it.

Reply to
willshak

Did it actually help, or did they feel better because they expected to feel better after spraying their joints?

For Arthritis: What Is The Premise?

The premise seems simple enough, you spray or rub on a dose of WD-40 to free up stiff, painful arthritic joints just like they oiled up the Tin Man in the classic movie "The Wizard of Oz".

However, according to John C. Wolf, D.O., Ohio University College of Osteopathic Medicine, Family Medicine News (1998 archives), "In the case of WD-40, a great myth developed about its benefits in treating arthritis. It is easy to follow the flawed logic: WD-40 works wonders on stiff door locks, squeaky hinges, and rusted bolts. Therefore, it should make my stiff, sore, squeaking arthritic joints work better. Unfortunately, like all myths, this one isn't true."

WD-40 For Arthritis: Potential For Harm

A look at the WD-40 MSDS (Material Safety Data Sheet) shows that the product contains petroleum distillates. Skin contact may cause drying of skin and/or irritation. According to the WD-40 MSDS, it is advised to wash with soap and water if you have contact with your skin.

Greater risks can come from prolonged exposure. According to the article, WD-40 for Arthritis? by Katherine Poehlmann, Ph.D., "To date, no credible scientific studies have shown any benefit from the use of WD-40 for arthritis. In fact, there may be cumulative harmful effects."

Reply to
DGDevin

There are some here that intentionally and knowingly ingest mineral oil. A little more petroleum product in your liver, would be no big deal

[...]

Josepi

Geeeesh George! Stick to one stupid nickname at a time! Every time you get made to look stupid you nymshift again.

Reply to
Josepi

That's way more information than I needed.

Reply to
Just Wondering