I finally have a gloat!!!

Porter Cable 7336 6" HD Variable Speed Orbital Sander

Lowes closeout, display model, works great.

$20.00

Reply to
JimAndy

That is a major gloat! You suck!

I don't understand it, I have never seen anything at Lowes or HD for more than maybe 10% off. When HD changed from German 6" sanders to Chinese I asked about buying the old display. He said it was close enough, so they weren't changing it.

Reply to
Toller

OP you do indeed suck!

Lowes is much better about their markdowns than HD. In my experience HD will typically only mark down broken or incomplete products. Lowes on the other hand seems to mark down things at random. I got a nice Wilton woodworking vice for $20 once at Lowes that retailed at the bargain internet shops for like $100. It's either similar to or is the 63144 model shown on Amazon.

I don't even have a real workbench yet, but I bought that one because I knew it was a steal. :-)

-Nathan

Reply to
N Hurst

Over Christmas my Dad went down to HD in Florida and saw a 24 volt Rigid kit (Hammer Drill, Reciprocating Saw, Circular Saw, batteries and charger etc) that was marked as $317, so he snagged it up fast. A few weeks later when I got to Florida we went down to HD and they had two in their clearance pile for $497, I threw one in the cart but 1/2 way around the store we noticed 5 kits sitting by themselves. After looking through all five one still had the $317 sticker on it. After some talking with the cashier and a manager I managed to snag the same kit for $317. Sometimes it's the right place at the right time.

Reply to
HotRdd

Vice-----moral depravity or corruption Vise-----a tool with two jaws for holding work

Vise-----

Reply to
GROVER

Imagine the surprise of looking at the display unit marked "Made in Germany", getting home and seeing "Made in China", on the one you bought.

Reply to
Leon

Lose - to misplace Loose - opposite of tight

Sale - an event for the exchange of goods Sell - the act of exchanging goods for currency Sail - cloth that moves a boat with wind power or the act of moving a boat with wind power

Advise - to offer advice Advice - a plan of action offered to or by others

Reply to
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

Rhymes with 'booze'

Rhymes with 'goose'

Reply to
Lee K

Can you say "bait and switch"?

Reply to
Lou

Indeed a good gloat, I remember when I was in need of a hand held planer. I went shopping one night, and after going to the HD, Sears, and Lowe's I was not ready to part with $100 for me to use it for 10 minutes. But while looking in the aisle's at Lowe's I stumbled upon the very out of sight clearance section and low and behold they had a few B&D's on clearance for $19. I don't use it that much but it does a fine job when I do.

Reply to
Allen Roy

Thank you Commander English.

N Hurst

And a vice worth having will cost far more than 20 bucks in your life.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

when they know exactly what you were trying to say. I don't remember anyone asking. If someone stood in my shop and constantly told me how to use my tools "better" or do something better, I'd kick there @ss to the street. A few people I know have this problem and my father in-law and I always joke that if the house was burning down and we yelled "YaAll the house is burnin" they would stand inside correcting us. Unfortunately a lot of us prefer to spend our days working, apposed to studying how we could talk about it "correctly".

Reply to
HotRdd

HOWEVER, unless you are "blessed" with supreme self-confidence, and don't give a hoot what people think of you, you'd better pay a bit of attention to your spelling and grammar, because what you say and how you say it affect the opinions of others as to your intelligence. However unfair that may be, you might be "loosing" out on opportunities because you appear to be unworthy of further attention.

I'm not sayin', I'm just sayin'.

Reply to
bsa441

Fri, Feb 23, 2007, 9:51am snipped-for-privacy@YourEmail.com (HotRdd) doth mutter: AMEN - I always wondered why people feel the need to correct your grammar, when they know exactly what you were trying to say.

Most of the time it's not the grammer. Too much of the time I "don't" know "exactly" what someone is trying to say, because they don't know how to say it.

Have you never had a boss give you instructions on something they wanted done; then after you've spent perhaps days working, been told that's not what was wanted? You get told, "I know that's what I said, but that's not what I meant". All because you knew "exactly" what was wanted.

I've had bosses like that, and learned early on to ask something like, "It this what you mean?". Sometimes it takes 3-4 times before it becomes clear what they want. Even then, sometimes they'll still come back later and give you the old, "I know that's what I said, but that's not what I meant". .

JOAT When in doubt, go to sleep.

- Mully Small

Reply to
J T

IME, you had better ask ALL women, as well as most clients/bosses.

Reply to
Swingman

"Swingman" wisely observed

Doncha ya know Swingman, that the wimmenfolk expect all us guyz to be PSYCHIC!!

And if we are not, it is just another failing on our part.

Reply to
Lee Michaels

I'm one who values spelling and grammar on the internet simply because it's the only measure I have of your intelligence. We have never met nor are we likely to in the future. You might be a very talented guy but all I can see of you is what you write.

I say this knowing full well I misspell and mistype words regularly... but I try to present my best front to he world. Sometimes excitement precludes me editing my comments before I send them on their way.

I've been corrected by others before and my usual emotion is embarassment. The only reply necessary is either a "oops" statement or none at all. These corrections aren't just aimed at you, btw. The "vise/vise, sale/sell", etc mistakes are very common. Every now and then it just bubbles over.

Sorry... I'll get off the soap box now.

Reply to
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

Sorry for the RANT

Unfortunately I've worked in the real word long enough to understand two things. At least where I live. If someone shows up at my door with a huge vocabulary, big words, a suit, and promises and is trying to sell me something most of what he says is probably B.S., but when I talk to my machinist who's a "red neck", he shoots straight, talks loud and I can trust what he has to say. I'm more interested in what a person does than what they say, some of the best tradesmen in the world couldn't write a business report or lecture in front of a crowd, But throw them a piece of wood or metal and you'll see some universal language take shape. Language and literacy are huge issues but correcting someone in front of a huge group just belittles them and makes them not want to come back or speak/type. This doesn't mean that they don't have something relevant to add.

When I was younger I worked at a donut & deli shop, one day a we'll dressed, well kept and muscular fellow came in and walked up to the counter and asked what type of sandwiches we had. I quickly pointed at the board above my head and started helping other customers. A few minutes later he asked again what type of sandwiches we had, a little irritated I pointed at the board and took off to help someone else. A third time he caught me and started asking if we had roast beef, ham, twelve-grain bread etc. I was irritated and about to take off when he leaned over the counter and in front of dozens of customers said, with a red face, "I'm really sorry to bother you, but I can't read"

Guess who was the most embarrassed? I'm not sure if it was he or I, but I can guarantee you that I try very hard not to judge anymore. I've learned several similar lessons in life but I know that "people watch the way you walk, and don't listen to the way you talk" preverbaly speaking of course.

Reply to
HotRdd

Yeah ... but if most would just finish a thought before they opened their mouths to express it.

I love Jack Nicholson's line in "As Good As It Gets", when asked by the woman interviewer how he developed his female characters:

"I think of a man, then remove all reason and accountability".

Reply to
Swingman