I finally have a gloat!!!

Page 1 of 2
Porter Cable 7336 6" HD Variable Speed Orbital Sander
Lowes closeout, display model, works great.
$20.00
That is a major gloat! You suck!
I don't understand it, I have never seen anything at Lowes or HD for more than maybe 10% off. When HD changed from German 6" sanders to Chinese I asked about buying the old display. He said it was close enough, so they weren't changing it.

OP you do indeed suck!
Lowes is much better about their markdowns than HD. In my experience HD will typically only mark down broken or incomplete products. Lowes on the other hand seems to mark down things at random. I got a nice Wilton woodworking vice for $20 once at Lowes that retailed at the bargain internet shops for like $100. It's either similar to or is the 63144 model shown on Amazon.
I don't even have a real workbench yet, but I bought that one because I knew it was a steal. :-)
-Nathan
Over Christmas my Dad went down to HD in Florida and saw a 24 volt Rigid kit (Hammer Drill, Reciprocating Saw, Circular Saw, batteries and charger etc) that was marked as $317, so he snagged it up fast. A few weeks later when I got to Florida we went down to HD and they had two in their clearance pile for $497, I threw one in the cart but 1/2 way around the store we noticed 5 kits sitting by themselves. After looking through all five one still had the $317 sticker on it. After some talking with the cashier and a manager I managed to snag the same kit for $317. Sometimes it's the right place at the right time.

Vice-----moral depravity or corruption Vise-----a tool with two jaws for holding work
Vise-----
GROVER wrote:

Lose - to misplace Loose - opposite of tight
Sale - an event for the exchange of goods Sell - the act of exchanging goods for currency Sail - cloth that moves a boat with wind power or the act of moving a boat with wind power
Advise - to offer advice Advice - a plan of action offered to or by others
"Mortimer Schnerd, RN" <mschnerdatcarolina.rr.com> wrote in message

Rhymes with 'booze'

Rhymes with 'goose'

Thank you Commander English.
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q fine%3A+pedant&btnG=Google+Search

And a vice worth having will cost far more than 20 bucks in your life.

AMEN - I always wondered why people feel the need to correct your grammar, when they know exactly what you were trying to say. I don't remember anyone asking. If someone stood in my shop and constantly told me how to use my tools "better" or do something better, I'd kick there @ss to the street. A few people I know have this problem and my father in-law and I always joke that if the house was burning down and we yelled "YaAll the house is burnin" they would stand inside correcting us. Unfortunately a lot of us prefer to spend our days working, apposed to studying how we could talk about it "correctly".

HOWEVER, unless you are "blessed" with supreme self-confidence, and don't give a hoot what people think of you, you'd better pay a bit of attention to your spelling and grammar, because what you say and how you say it affect the opinions of others as to your intelligence. However unfair that may be, you might be "loosing" out on opportunities because you appear to be unworthy of further attention.
I'm not sayin', I'm just sayin'.
N Hurst wrote:

I'm one who values spelling and grammar on the internet simply because it's the only measure I have of your intelligence. We have never met nor are we likely to in the future. You might be a very talented guy but all I can see of you is what you write.
I say this knowing full well I misspell and mistype words regularly... but I try to present my best front to he world. Sometimes excitement precludes me editing my comments before I send them on their way.
I've been corrected by others before and my usual emotion is embarassment. The only reply necessary is either a "oops" statement or none at all. These corrections aren't just aimed at you, btw. The "vise/vise, sale/sell", etc mistakes are very common. Every now and then it just bubbles over. <G>
Sorry... I'll get off the soap box now.
--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN
mschnerdatcarolina.rr.com
On Feb 23, 11:31 am, "Mortimer Schnerd, RN" <mschnerdatcarolina.rr.com> wrote:

Man, if I took this kind of stuff personally, I'd have been sent to a mental ward a decade ago. My reaction was the same as yours. Just a bubbling over.
I'm probably good for another few years now. Thanks for being the catalyst! :-D
-Nathan
Sorry for the RANT
Unfortunately I've worked in the real word long enough to understand two things. At least where I live. If someone shows up at my door with a huge vocabulary, big words, a suit, and promises and is trying to sell me something most of what he says is probably B.S., but when I talk to my machinist who's a "red neck", he shoots straight, talks loud and I can trust what he has to say. I'm more interested in what a person does than what they say, some of the best tradesmen in the world couldn't write a business report or lecture in front of a crowd, But throw them a piece of wood or metal and you'll see some universal language take shape. Language and literacy are huge issues but correcting someone in front of a huge group just belittles them and makes them not want to come back or speak/type. This doesn't mean that they don't have something relevant to add.
When I was younger I worked at a donut & deli shop, one day a we'll dressed, well kept and muscular fellow came in and walked up to the counter and asked what type of sandwiches we had. I quickly pointed at the board above my head and started helping other customers. A few minutes later he asked again what type of sandwiches we had, a little irritated I pointed at the board and took off to help someone else. A third time he caught me and started asking if we had roast beef, ham, twelve-grain bread etc. I was irritated and about to take off when he leaned over the counter and in front of dozens of customers said, with a red face, "I'm really sorry to bother you, but I can't read"
Guess who was the most embarrassed? I'm not sure if it was he or I, but I can guarantee you that I try very hard not to judge anymore. I've learned several similar lessons in life but I know that "people watch the way you walk, and don't listen to the way you talk" preverbaly speaking of course.
to the street.

HotRdd wrote:

Since we only see each other's words here, who is to tell who's wearing the suit? All I can see is the words.
As for what they do, you only have their word for that as well. Few of us know each other.
I apply different standards to the real world too... but this is Usenet. Don't confuse it with the real world.
--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN
mschnerdatcarolina.rr.com
JOAT When in doubt, go to sleep. - Mully Small
"J T" wrote in message

IME, you had better ask ALL women, as well as most clients/bosses.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 2/20/07

Doncha ya know Swingman, that the wimmenfolk expect all us guyz to be PSYCHIC!!
And if we are not, it is just another failing on our part.