I don't know why people make such a big deal about design...

Page 1 of 2
Say you have clients that have different taste in furniture - he wants traditional, she wants modern. Is that a big problem? Hell, no! Give 'em both. http://freshome.com/2009/08/14/the-evolution-dresser-by-ferruccio-laviani / I have to go scrub my eyeballs now.

A really nice job picking a wood (for the traditional side) with grain that shouts over the whispers of the delicate carving.
Horrid.

Quite possibly the ugliest piece of furniture I've ever seen.
And I suppose Ferruccio wipes his ass with a combination corncob/ flannel probe, too.
Sonny

Let's destroy the write-up shall we?
Living in the era of contemporary design and architecture, people sometimes need to look back (look, yes, but stop short of creating abominations) in (the) past and come up with very fresh conventional (name one thing conventinal about this piece) things. Things like this "Evolution" dresser by Ferruccio Laviani (for Emmemobili), that has been concerted as the evolution (if this is evolution, we're all doomed) of conventionality to progressiveness. Beautifully hand-carved from oak wood (the worst choice possible for the medium), the conventional side conserves a high detailed carving on every inch (every inch? are you serious? the side is mostly blank, the grain of the oaks hides nearly all of the carving) it holds, and to balance it up (balance? what friggin balance?), the progressive side offers a linear intelligent (intelligent... wouldn't have been my first choice of words) design that adds a bit (?????)of modern. A great (read: awful) concept wrapped in functionality, don't you think? (nope, I don't, and neither did the designer) - via

A Photoshopped joke...

...that the writer didn't get?

Nope. The piece (POS) was included in some design article about a design expo in the LA Times along with other furniture not nearly as mind-boggingly horrific.
RicodJour wrote:

lav...
Which means this piece is a shoo-in for best in show.

Rob Leatham

Haven't you noticed that many people are using, and think that, Shaker style furniture is a contemporary design. It actually fits in well with most modern decor.
On 01/08/2010 09:44 AM, RicodJour wrote:

For thirty years I have placed close attention to all furniture that I have ran across, everything from flea market junk to museum pieces, that is by far the ugliest thing I have ever seen.
Hopefully they haven't somehow managed to destroy the BTU content of the wood and it can be burned for heat.
basilisk

I know where you are coming from, brother. When I saw that I thought it was a Photoshopped joke and thought it was funny, then I read the article and I felt like I had been kicked in the balls...only thing is - I'd probably have recovered from being kicked in the balls more quickly. I need a partial brain wipe.
basilisk wrote:

And somebody apparently is mass producing them for sale. So much for the Italians as arbiters of style.
On Fri, 8 Jan 2010 07:44:26 -0800 (PST), RicodJour

For posting this you are now on my shit list!
Gordon Shumway
Our Constitution needs to be used less as a shield for the guilty and more as a sword for the victim.

I truly apologize. I thought I could post it here - like making a confession at an AA meeting or something - and somehow that would make it alright. I'm sorry!

You should have posted a warning, like "Remember, you can never UNSEE something!"
On Fri, 08 Jan 2010 21:55:30 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@milmac.com (Doug Miller) wrote:

LOL, was that you that called it a butt ugly piece of furniture? Still laughing. If a wife brought that home it would be grounds for divorce or worse.
Mike M
"Mike M" wrote:

BU, naw, no punch.
Now BFU,
that's another matter.
Ranks right up there with Ya Mamma stuff.
Lew

No, Mike, that was me -- revisit the site, and look at comment #4. :-)
Looking at the site again, I was struck by the similarity between the first name of the creator of that abomination (Feruccio) and the German word verrueckt (German v is pronounced like English f).
Verrueckt means "crazy".
I'm sure that's just a coincidence.

Sorry... late to the party but..... . . . .
speechless.... I wouldn't waste an F-bomb trying to describe it...

I know that this will poison any good will I mat have had here, but I think it's kinda' cool. Not in MY house, but perhaps some studio or furniture store? How about some lawyer's office?
--
Nonny