I bought a corner chisel + question about sharpening it

Page 2 of 2
On 5/19/2015 3:49 PM, Swingman wrote:

When you sharpen that chisel, do you prefer the "rounding over the bevel" method? ;~)
Leon wrote:

It's a little more difficult to pay attention to doing it right than it sounds. The mind drifts. I offered the best advise on sharpening I could in this context.
On 5/19/2015 10:31 PM, Bill wrote:
> All of this just a guess--Bill.

It is not just you in this thread ... but why bother to offer "advice", and geometrical conjecture on a tool, with regard to how it must be constructed, sharpened and used, which you have neither owned nor used?
Damned good thing the "advice" you requested and received from knowledgeable folks here on your own projects the last few years was not on such shaky ground, eh?
Not to be picking on you alone, but what is exhibited in the particular thread is NOT what kept the wRec a valuable resource for many years.
--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net
Swingman wrote:

I try to help people the same as they try to help me. Its true. I note where I wrote above, "All of this just a guess." What more of a disclaimer do you want?
Bill
Swingman wrote:

Looking back at my first post in this thread, I got sucked in by a math problem... We are "community" first, "service" second, no? Few needs seem to go unfulfilled (expect maybe that time folks banded together to refuse to comment on how I planned to wire an AC motor!). Thanks to Lew, I even have a spading fork this year, which I had never even heard of before it was mentioned..
Bill
Leon wrote:

We're going to have to hone your sense of humor! ; )
On 5/20/2015 5:05 AM, Bill wrote:

;~)
Bill wrote:

Could one square a corner with a single edge chisel? Of course, by doing one side at a time. Think of the corner chisel as two single chisels welded together.
--

dadiOH
____________________________

Exactly - the corner chisel is just like any other chisel, so you'd use the same grits as you would for the same task on a regular chisel. Something pretty fine if you just need a light honeing, otherwise work up thru the grits. Diamond hones are good because you can get them in small sizes (with safe edges) that easily fit the bevel. As dadiOH says, you can glue silicon carbide sandpaper to popsicle sticks for the same result.

I think this is one of those tools where you don't want to touch the backs. Granted, the shape isn't as critical as something like a Forstner bit, but I think I'd just work the bevel, unless there was an obvious problem with the backs.

It would be a weird shaped block. I'd do both sides seperately.
John
On 5/16/2015 11:45 AM, Greg Guarino wrote:

I use the edge of an Arkansas stone to keep them honed.
Doing so religiously after every use, ten years have gone by with no real need to expend any extra "sharpening" effort.
--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net
On 5/16/2015 12:45 PM, Greg Guarino wrote:

Simple really. Just go down to the Town Hall and hone it on the corner stone. Glad I could help.