I bought a corner chisel + question about sharpening it

We weren't arguing. At least I wasn't. Have you tried sharpening yet? I might carve a pop-sickle stick or similar (preferable something stronger), to help with that bevel near the corner. Be careful not to round over any edges when you are sharpening. You can't be too careful on that--take your time. Be careful not to round over the bevels. Pay careful attention to what you are doing--that you are not rounding over the edge, and you'll have good results. Put the tool in a vise, or similar so it doesn't move! Careful strokes and all will be well. Try to "feel" the angle of the bevel (you can!) No rounding! ; )

Bill

Reply to
Bill

Jerry Osage wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Me too :-)

I think it started with the assertion that you can't use a square block (or any other shape block) with abrasive on it to sharpen both bevels at once. Which is pretty much a true statement, in my opinion.

It then wandered off, because, I think, Bill was envisioning a V-gouge (which has the bevels on the outside, if I'm not mistaken, and thus won't cut straight down like a corner chisel).

John

Reply to
John McCoy

No argument, simply stated a fact regarding the performance of a common woodworking tool, with proof to back it up, based on an observation that prior discussion had degraded into nothing more than guesses/ill informed conjecture by those who have not used the tool.

Reply to
Swingman

I don't think that would work in this case. Those "hinge" mortisers square up to two perpendicular edges. In my case, at least the first cut involves a straight edge and a semicircle. (imagine the oval plowed out by a 1/2" bit in a router that moves laterally).

But I do plan to "start" the grooves - or at least the one at the end - with a straight 1/2" chisel.

Reply to
Greg Guarino

When you sharpen that chisel, do you prefer the "rounding over the bevel" method? ;~)

Reply to
Leon

It's a little more difficult to pay attention to doing it right than it sounds. The mind drifts. I offered the best advise on sharpening I could in this context.

Reply to
Bill

We're going to have to hone your sense of humor! ; )

Reply to
Bill

It is not just you in this thread ... but why bother to offer "advice", and geometrical conjecture on a tool, with regard to how it must be constructed, sharpened and used, which you have neither owned nor used?

Damned good thing the "advice" you requested and received from knowledgeable folks here on your own projects the last few years was not on such shaky ground, eh?

Not to be picking on you alone, but what is exhibited in the particular thread is NOT what kept the wRec a valuable resource for many years.

Reply to
Swingman

I try to help people the same as they try to help me. Its true. I note where I wrote above, "All of this just a guess." What more of a disclaimer do you want?

Bill

Reply to
Bill

Looking back at my first post in this thread, I got sucked in by a math problem... We are "community" first, "service" second, no? Few needs seem to go unfulfilled (expect maybe that time folks banded together to refuse to comment on how I planned to wire an AC motor!). Thanks to Lew, I even have a spading fork this year, which I had never even heard of before it was mentioned..

Bill

Reply to
Bill

;~)