question about a corner cabinet

I am making a corner cabinet out of solid maple. I am trying to decide how to make the back. The back is about 12-14 inches wide. I am a little concerned about expansion and contraction of the back if I make it all one piece. Any suggestions?

Rudy

Reply to
Rudy Fichtenbaum

On Mon, 11 Aug 2003 02:10:14 GMT, Rudy Fichtenbaum Crawled out of the shop and said. . .:

use plywood. no more problem

Traves

Reply to
Traves W. Coppock

Plywood is commonly used for the backs of cabinets. I used ply for a couple large bookcases and it worked fine. Rabet the sides 1/16" deeper than the ply thickness--of cours in this case there will be some strange angles and bevels.

Reply to
Phisherman

I am in the middle of making a repro corner cabinet, however it is a two piece unit .

The lower cabinet has ply wood backs . The upper cabinet has double glazed doors so the back is visable .so the back will be done in thin solid walnut boards tongue and grooved. I will probably do a small quarter round at the point where the boards meet so that expansion and contraction is not noticable......mjh

Reply to
Mike Hide

How about getting out the tongue and groove planes (you do have a set of old beechwood T&G planes, or perhaps a nice Stanley 45?) and making random width T&G panels about 3 - 5 inches wide? That was common before plywood came around, I recall. You could probably use pine or poplar and paint.

Brian

Reply to
Brian