Dovetail corners on pine valance

I'm building a 12-foot valance, 14" high, 9" deep, made from solid

3/4" pine which will be primed/painted. I'm cutting an arch on the front which will help reduce the overall weight. For strength, I'm (hand) cutting dovetails on the corners. Should I cut tails or pins in the front piece, or does it really matter?
Reply to
Phisherman

Tails cut into the front piece would look better.

That's a pretty wide board. Are you concerned about the valance cupping?

RicodJour

Normally tails are on the side pieces and pins cut on the front pieces.

Reply to
Leon

The 14" wide board is a glue up and it will be painted on all sides which helps prevent cupping. Near the middle of the valance the width will only be 8" wide, near the corners it is 14" wide but the corners will keep it from cupping. I am more concerned about seasonal expansion/contraction of the wood.

Reply to
Phisherman

And that will help restrain the cupping.

Reply to
Lowell Holmes