wood selection for vise face

putting new faces over the cast iron vise

going to use some maple i have but i was looking at the oak only because it is so tough

the maple is not hard maple but it is also not soft it is just right and i think it is one of those case where you just happen to have the perfect pieces lying around in other words i got lucky

what do you have on your vise faces

Reply to
Electric Comet

Want some give and compression - the whole idea is to protect and hold in a vise.

I have a gun vice that has inserts that carry foam rubber (high density closed cell) and the other side is AL.

Depends on what you hold and how hard.

Mart>

Reply to
Martin Eastburn

Electric Comet wrote in news:mj91gp$hao$1 @dont-email.me:

I use Poplar. Strikes me as tough, just soft enough to grip good, hard enough to resist marking, etc. Can't say that I've regretted it, or even paid that much attention to it. Didn't like White Oak - seemed too harsh/hard.

Reply to
Baxter

yep why I chose something not too hard so it would not mar the wood i am working on

Reply to
Electric Comet

Red oak. Entire workbench is made from red oak. Never thought about the s oftness of the vise face wood and how it might mar the wood being held. I don't work with balsa wood and cork. I do use some intelligence when turni ng the vise handles to tighten the vise.

Reply to
russellseaton1

red oak is nice choice

i also do not work with blasa or cork i have worked with cork oak

it depends on what is in the vice on occasion i have curvy things that go into the vice and i want to minimize additional sanding i keep some leaather around to protect them too

Reply to
Electric Comet

You win the internet for the day...

Reply to