How to sharpen a pencil

My thought exactly! I keep misplacing pencil sharpeners, even big ones. But I always have a drill around. That would be handy bit to have. I would buy at least two or three of them. No more dull pencils!

Reply to
Lee Michaels

"Lee Michaels" wrote in news:53ad70ca$0$1331$c3e8da3$ snipped-for-privacy@news.astraweb.com:

Lowe's:

Home Depot:

Baxter

It got much funnier near the last 3/4 and toward the end. You should watch it again. Willie. ;~)

Reply to
Leon

That's it.

Reply to
Greg Guarino

So Kenny Rogers infringed Willie Nelson's copyright when he sang "The Gambler"?

Reply to
Just Wondering

Damn, I know people in Pittsboro. This explains a lot!

Reply to
pentapus

Thank you sir. I had no idea that such a simple tool existed. I some gadgets laying around that plug into a drill. I will add this to the collection. Home depot even tells me what aisle it is on. I need to go down that way today. I will pick one up. I will throw it in the drawer with all my other drill related tools and bits.

Reply to
Lee Michaels

FWIW almost all FastCap tape measures have a pretty darn good pencil sharpener built in.

Reply to
Leon

I've been using a box cutter for a while, without any problem. You can create whatever shape tip that you want.

Reply to
Bill

Worked for me.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

I have an electric X-Acto sharpener I use in the house. I have no plans to buy an electric sharpener for the garage/shop. :)

Reply to
Bill

"Bill" wrote

With the popularity of a box cutter in form of a lock-back pocket knife, I always have one in my pocket. I feel naked without it. Sharpens good for me.

That said, I really like the looks of the drill sharpener. I may pick one up!

Reply to
Morgans

When I watched the first few minutes, it was at work without audio, and it was baffling. I just watched the whole thing _with_ audio.

It's brilliant. Absolutely brilliant.

Reply to
Grant Edwards

Don Schlitz wrote 'The Gambler'.

Reply to
phorbin

Regardless of the writer, for the most part anyone can sing any song once it's published. The writer gets the royalties, anyway, so most welcome future recordings of their songs.

Reply to
-MIKE-

That's what I use most of the time. I really posted that video as a gag. To me (and to my daughter, who finds some of the things I do comical enough to videotape) it seemed like swatting a fly with a hand sledge.

I'll say one thing; it did make very short work of sharpening all of the pencils the first time. But I can't imagine using it to "touch-up" pencils that have gotten dull, not if I want the package of pencils to last for more than an afternoon, anyway.

Hey, maybe that's what HD throws in the sharpener for free; that attachment can reduce a dozen pencils to a pile of shavings in no time at all.

Reply to
Greg Guarino

Bookmarked at 7:36. I anticipate many future applications.

Reply to
Larry Kraus

I'm still in awe of how well the whole thing was done.

I loved how he referred to setting up a pencil sharpening "practice" rather than a "business" -- thus elevating being a pencil sharpener to the same category as being a lawyer or doctor. The classic 1940's leather train case for his equipment was a nice touch too.

I do remeber being taught how to sharpen a pencil in junior high school shop class when we were doing a 9-week mechanical drawing course (using wooden pencils) -- and then again as a feshman at Penn State (using mechanical lead-holders).

Of course there aren't any subjects that I take way too seriously and rant on and on about until all my fiends are ready to strangle me.

[Did I tell you about the ad on Craig's List for a "Radio Alarm Saw", I'm assuming that one's due to auto-correct, but for dog's sake people, proof-read your ad when you're done.

Or how about placing an ad which comprises (in its entirety) "Craftsman table saw: $275. North Metro" -- no photo, model number or specs. Craftsman has been selling table saws for something like 75 years, and has sold probably a few hundred different models. Of course when I'm shopping for a table saw, it doesn't matter which model it is, how old it is or what sort of shape it's in. What matters is that it's from the "north metro". Or how about the ad for "hand tools: $100 for everything in picture" with no picture.

BTW, the guy tring to sell a $7 set of Menards house brand spade bits for $17 has updated his ad. There's now a picture of both the front and back of the blister pack. At least he spelled everything correctly.]

Reply to
Grant Edwards

Not only did you learn to properly sharpen a pencil, but you leanred the much rarer skill of using "effect" properly as a VERB. A rare skill indeed.

Reply to
alexy

Bill wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@news6.newsguy.com:

I never realized how dangerous a drill press could be until I started reading machinist forums. If the bit grabs, the workpiece can come around and hit you faster than your reflexes can take corrective action.

It doesn't seem to be as big of problem with wood, as the wood doesn't provide as good of hold as metal or plastic. However, I've had a few times where the bit has grabbed and spun a small workpiece around. I also had one time where it grabbed and pulled the piece around and whacked the column. Better it than me.

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper