How to sharpen a pencil

Page 2 of 3
Lee Michaels wrote:

I've been using a box cutter for a while, without any problem. You can create whatever shape tip that you want.
"Bill" wrote:

---------------------------------------------------------- http://tinyurl.com/lasxlyy
Worked for me.
Lew
Lew Hodgett wrote:

I have an electric X-Acto sharpener I use in the house. I have no plans to buy an electric sharpener for the garage/shop. :)

With the popularity of a box cutter in form of a lock-back pocket knife, I always have one in my pocket. I feel naked without it. Sharpens good for me.
That said, I really like the looks of the drill sharpener. I may pick one up!
--
Jim in NC

x2 on ROFLMAO. Hilarious! A great reminder of how we humans can get when we start in on a hobby or craft. `Casper

I strongly suspect it is a satire aimed squarely at the Artisanal Pencil Sharpening guy. Who liked the video and then links to it from his site.
Note that this video recommends the same tubes for shipping pencils as APS, but also that the pencil shown being sharpened does not end up looking as good as APS, due to the carbon getting all over the wood during sanding.
Elijah ------ a perfect cone point does not seem artistic at all
Eli the Bearded wrote:

I want my 10 minutes back!!!

As wise Willie Nelson once said in song,
You gotta know when to fold em.
I folded after about 2 minutes. Perhaps less.
That humor bores me.
--
Jim in NC

Morgans wrote:

That was Kenny Rogers. Willie Nelson sang On The Road Again. Point taken anyway! In the Texas Hold'em vernacular, "I made a bad call"! : )

On 6/26/2014 9:49 PM, Morgans wrote:

It got much funnier near the last 3/4 and toward the end. You should watch it again. Willie. ;~)
On 6/26/2014 8:49 PM, Morgans wrote:

So Kenny Rogers infringed Willie Nelson's copyright when he sang "The Gambler"?
On Thu, 26 Jun 2014 22:49:00 -0400, "Morgans"

I'm not a country and western fan, but I know that was not what Willie Nelson said in a song -- it was Kenny Rogers.
On 6/25/2014 5:13 PM, Spalted Walt wrote:

Damn, I know people in Pittsboro. This explains a lot!

--
pentapus

When I watched the first few minutes, it was at work without audio, and it was baffling. I just watched the whole thing _with_ audio.
It's brilliant. Absolutely brilliant.
--
Grant

On 6/28/2014 10:52 AM, Grant Edwards wrote:

Bookmarked at 7:36. I anticipate many future applications.
says...

Don Schlitz wrote 'The Gambler'.
On 6/29/14, 11:04 AM, phorbin wrote:

Regardless of the writer, for the most part anyone can sing any song once it's published. The writer gets the royalties, anyway, so most welcome future recordings of their songs.
--

-MIKE-

I'm still in awe of how well the whole thing was done.
I loved how he referred to setting up a pencil sharpening "practice" rather than a "business" -- thus elevating being a pencil sharpener to the same category as being a lawyer or doctor. The classic 1940's leather train case for his equipment was a nice touch too.
I do remeber being taught how to sharpen a pencil in junior high school shop class when we were doing a 9-week mechanical drawing course (using wooden pencils) -- and then again as a feshman at Penn State (using mechanical lead-holders).
Of course there aren't any subjects that I take way too seriously and rant on and on about until all my fiends are ready to strangle me.
[Did I tell you about the ad on Craig's List for a "Radio Alarm Saw", I'm assuming that one's due to auto-correct, but for dog's sake people, proof-read your ad when you're done.
Or how about placing an ad which comprises (in its entirety) "Craftsman table saw: $275. North Metro" -- no photo, model number or specs. Craftsman has been selling table saws for something like 75 years, and has sold probably a few hundred different models. Of course when I'm shopping for a table saw, it doesn't matter which model it is, how old it is or what sort of shape it's in. What matters is that it's from the "north metro". Or how about the ad for "hand tools: $100 for everything in picture" with no picture.
BTW, the guy tring to sell a $7 set of Menards house brand spade bits for $17 has updated his ad. There's now a picture of both the front and back of the blister pack. At least he spelled everything correctly.]
--
Grant Edwards grant.b.edwards Yow! Hmmm ... an arrogant
at bouquet with a subtle

Not only did you learn to properly sharpen a pencil, but you leanred the much rarer skill of using "effect" properly as a VERB. A rare skill indeed.

I never realized how dangerous a drill press could be until I started reading machinist forums. If the bit grabs, the workpiece can come around and hit you faster than your reflexes can take corrective action.
It doesn't seem to be as big of problem with wood, as the wood doesn't provide as good of hold as metal or plastic. However, I've had a few times where the bit has grabbed and spun a small workpiece around. I also had one time where it grabbed and pulled the piece around and whacked the column. Better it than me.
Puckdropper
--
Make it to fit, don't make it fit.