The WoodWright's Shop - Three Legged Chair

Yesterday's airing of the WoodWright's Shop showed the process of making a

3 legged stool (chair, seating). They commented on the history of 3 legge d seating, being a standard long time ago, about 1300s - 1600s, I think it was.

About 25-30 yrs ago, I saw a 3 legged chair in a museum and thought "What's so special about that? I can build that. Simple geometry!"

I had taken pics of the museum chair, but don't have them anymore. That ch air's base framing looked similar to this one:

Also, the chair I saw didn't have armrests and had a one-board backrest.

The WoodWright project construction was similar to the museum chair I had s een.

When I returned from the museum trip, I tried to build a 3 legged chair (no supplied plans). It wasn't as easy as I thought. I made 3 sets of legs, before the 4th set was almost correct. I don't think my using tree limbs ( raw, non-milled lumber) was the problem, either. Though my woodworking sk ills were not advanced, I certainly didn't think this project was that tech nically difficult, until I tried it. I realized THAT chair and similar mus eum pieces are in the museums for a reason.

I still have the chair I made, stashed in the barn. The seat is rope weavi ng, as back then I was practicing & learning how to weave rush, cane, etc. and I took this opportunity to practice this weaving technique. I had the rope handy, at the time. I've never replaced the rope with something more suitable.

This was a good learning project for me, back then.... learning the hard wa y? The WoodWright episode brought back the memories of my building, tackli ng the 3 legged chair project. I would encourage all to try a 3 legged ch air or stool, as this, without a set of plans, i.e, you figure it out.

Sonny

Reply to
Sonny

The WoodWright episode brought back the memories of my building, tackling

the 3 legged chair project. I would encourage all to try a 3 legged chair

or stool, as this, without a set of plans, i.e, you figure it out.

I am always amazed by the old techniques that are used on the Wood wright's Shop.

Watching him built a large timber building, makes me want make one also. The closes I get to that is mortising the parts of a mailbox post together.

I still am remember the one project where he split two 2X8 out of an 8 inch log. No saw just axe and wedges.

Reply to
knuttle

The nice things about three legs - be they table or chair or whatever - is that they are always stable; i.e., all three legs are always on the floor regardless of leg length or unevenness of the floor.

Reply to
dadiOH