How To Sharpen a Hatchet

Got a hatchet that could stand some sharpening. Googling and YouTubing shows most every conceivable way to do it.

Any real world advice from someone who's done it successfully?

Reply to
Wade Garrett

My only experience is using a file. Couple of strokes on one side, then equal strokes on the other. Never tried other methods but there are probably better.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Table top belt sander with a 400-600 grit belt or a wet stone wheel. most bench grinders are to aggressive.

Reply to
gfretwell

I like to use a belt sander (on low speed , use the space between the front roller and the platen to get a nice curve)to get the edge profiled , then finish it off with a file followed by a soft Arkansas stone . I like a fairly wide taper , seems to hold an edge better . I ain't tryin' to shave with it ...

Reply to
Terry Coombs

Are you interested in showing-off your impressive "edge" .. or using it as a chopping tool ? ie : it isn't meant to be used as a shaving razor nor as a filet knife .. Use a fine file. Avoid grinder heat .. Think lawn-mower blade more than hunting knife. John T.

Reply to
hubops

I suppose it all depends on how many times you want to swing it to get the job done.

Reply to
gfretwell

Thanks guys, I think I'll hit it with a file...

Reply to
Wade Garrett

Do that with a belt sander and you will forget where you keep the file. Same with a dremel and a chain saw chain. Unless you are Amish, there is a better way.

Reply to
gfretwell

Just couldn't resist... Garrett Wade isn't cheap but they have quality tools you're not going to find down at the TrueValue.

Reply to
rbowman

Here's another carbide sharpener - replacable cutter & less money.

John T.

Reply to
hubops