How to replace side panels on Bies

Folks -
Okay, the PO of this saw had scuffed up the side of the rip fence with the blade, doing what, I'm not sure. The fence looks like it's made of out lamintated BB ply, but I don't know how to fence panels come off. I know that I could go caveman on it, but I thought someone here would likely have more finess than my own bad self.
I'd sure appreciate some input. I can't really tune the saw up until I get the fence fixed.
John Moorhead Lakeport, CA
I believe there are screw heads hidden beneath the laminate. I'd scuff sand it and laminate another layer on top.
    Bridger
On Sun, 28 Dec 2003 01:29:30 GMT, "john moorhead"

john moorhead wrote...

You're right. The panels are made of baltic birch ply. The panels are screwed into the steel box beam, the laminate is (contact) cemented to the ply, and then the edging is inserted. To remove a panel, you have to peel off the laminate, which unfortunately will destroy it.
Jim
Get one corner of the Lam. up then use a squirt bottle of lacquer thinner to squirt under the lam and peel off the lam with a sharp putty knife. Or try Acetone. Watch the paint on the fence though. Maybe a heatgun would work also.

the
know
have

Yep, that's the way I removed mine. The cement softened right up and I peeled the formica off in one big piece with no problem whatsoever. Underneath are maybe 8 hex-head screws holding the birch to the metal tube.
Fly-by-Night CC wrote...

Well, slap my 'fro! I sit corrected. Truth is, I didn't even try to preserve mine, because the panel was getting replaced, anyway. I was increasing the fence height.
Jim

One note I might add is when you re-laminate the strip back together, make it so you can remove the baltic birch from the metal part easily (i.e. expose the connection). I did this because I have different fence attachments. From the fwiw dept. SH

How did you do this? I suppose you could relaminate the ply detached from the tube, drill throught the backside to locate the screw holes...?

If this method is used don't forget to use flame-retardant all over your body. But on the other hand if you are in an enclosed place the explosion will kill you. :)
Please don't use the heat gun in conjunction with either of these volatile compounds!
Roy Roy