How do you organize your shop?

Page 2 of 4

I'm 20 minutes from Madison. Do you have contact info for them? I can wrangle a pallet, no problems there...
Thanks, Dave Hinz
Dave Hinz wrote:

Here in Waukesha, WI we have garbage pick-up every Tuesday in my neighborhood. This include large items. A friend of mine moved recently and had 4 old computers, three dead monitors and 2 dot matrix printers. He just put them on the curb and gone no questions asked.
Thanks Rick

I take I-94 to and from work every day, through Waukesha. Tuesdays, you say?
Do they still do the large-item free-shopping (I mean, garbage pickup) twice a year? Any idea when that is?
Dave "Gotta get rid of some of the stuff I picked up a decade ago" Hinz

I wish they'd have a free large-item pickup around here. When we replaced our sofa, a friend said they were going to pick the old one up so we left it outside next to the garage and it was gone the next day. It wasn't until a couple weeks later that we found that someone else had taken it out into the orange groves and slept on it or something and it's since gotten rained on and ruined. It's too bad because it was a nice, nearly new piece of furniture.
Now I'm stuck with this thing I have to get rid of but don't feel like renting a truck and dragging down to the dump.
On Fri, 31 Dec 2004 00:01:03 -0500, Silvan

They did it here too. They used to send out notices a month ahead of time to let everyone know when they were going to send the trucks around, now... they haven't done it in a couple years. They used to send around a truck to pick up Christmas trees 2 weeks after Christmas too, they don't do that anymore either.

It's more a matter of not having time or enough stuff to really make it worth the trip. The dump is relatively close, but getting a truck for one thing seems to be a bit of a waste to me.
Dave Hinz wrote:

They do not do the large item pick up twice a year. They do it weekly (We must get something out of the high property taxes that we pay). However which day that is depends on what neighborhood you live in.

I finally remembered the name: Cascade Asset Management http://www.cascade-assets.com /
According to their website, they'll accept stuff from the public any time, but normally they charge a fee for it. The next "free" roundup is in April ("free" means they still charge $5 for monitors).
http://www.cascade-assets.com/individual/dropoff.htm http://www.cascade-assets.com/individual/roundup.htm

Excellent. Thanks, I'll get ahold of them.
Dave Hinz
Dave Hinz wrote:

You enabler you!

Don't shoot'em with a BB gun. DAMHIKT.

LOL - All I can say is WHAT!!!!! What else can you do at 18 and a bb gun and the monitor just sitting there :)
Too funny!!!
Rob V wrote:

When I was moving out of my first apartment, I left behind the first monitor I ever called my own (instead of Dad's.) It was some real POS with lots and lots of problems, and I was moving from a place with huge storage to a place with one half sized closet (and more living space) so I had to get rid of my little memento.
I shot it repeatedly, even went so far as to pump the gun three times more than the recommended number and shoot it at point blank range. Nothing. I put it in the dumpster and threw bricks at it. Nothing. Those CRTs are actually pretty hard to smash.
Ah, the stupidity of youth. Being immortal was fun.

You need to surprise them from behind. Take off the case (and try not to kill yourself) and shoot the back of it where it's a lot weaker. Way fun if you float it (just the CRT) out in a pond, too.
- Owen -
Owen Lawrence wrote:

Yeowch! It cost me 37 stitches when I stepped on that thing. That was YOU?

fun
YOU?
Sorry. I thought everyone knew they let raw sewage into that pond; I just assumed nobody would ever go in there.
- Owen -
Owen Lawrence wrote:

So THAT'S why it got so infected! :)

OK, fine. Look, dammit, Silvan. Tonight, we'll both go into our respective shops, and put or throw away one dozen items. (I figure we repeat this for a decade, I'll find my freaking Fluke meter that I need).

It's not any more impressive with a .30-06 - it just stops working. The 12-gauge on the fax/scanner/printer Canon POS was fun, though.
Dave Hinz
Dave Hinz wrote:

And I'll find that damn glue gun. Though I've already forgotten what I was going to use the glue gun for.

I'll have to try that. :)
Silvan wrote:

Pegboard? Gluing the hooks in? ;-)
-- Mark
Mark Jerde wrote:

Right. Now what was I looking for again?
I did finally get the back of that new Veritas iron for my #6 lapped and sharpened. It only took five days.
The worst part of this whole ordeal was that I was off and at home and it was GORGEOUS weather. 50 degrees, 60 degrees. I haven't hardly worn anything heavier than long johns and a flannel shirt all week, even at night.
And I spent the week cleaning house and sitting in hospital room.
Sigh.
(Weather matters because my shop is just a crappy little shed. Inadequate heat, no air conditioning. This is perfect weather.)
Oh well. Some things are more important. I haven't fired off the official notice yet, but she's home now. Has these bags in her for six weeks. Oh joy, oh goody. Nothing says love like draining a nice juicy bag of fresh warm bile. Yerk.
Silvan wrote:

OTOH it's not necessarily that much different from putting up with something that complains, corrects, berates, harasses, harangues, belittles and bleeds several days a month but doesn't die... ;-)
-- Mark