Advice needed on building Sheet Goods Cart

Hi, I've run out of space in my 2 car garage and I'm going to need the space I use for stacking sheets and lumber. Does anybody know where I can get plans for a cart, lightweight if possible. tia, Mike

Reply to
Mike

The current edition of "Wood" (Dec/Jan 2004/2005) by Better Homes and Gardens has plans for 2 different carts. One is for Sheetstock (Sheet Goods Storage Cart) and has space for full sheets, half sheets and cutoffs. The other is for solid wood storage (Shop-smart scrap sorter). These carts are mobile as they have wheels.

My wife just picked up a copy at the local Home Depot.

Reply to
Rick

Reply to
Mike

Some design ideas from another industry.

sandman

Hi Mike,

Whatever you finally decide for your design, you might want to incorporate something that was mentioned a few months ago here. Someone (sorry I can't recall who) was making a sheet goods storage cart and used

2 x 6's for the bottom supports - between these he used metal conduit (set into drilled holes) onto which he slipped PVC schedule-40. This allows you to easily slip off the goods as needed.

Wish I did that on mine - next time I will.

Good luck!

Lou

Reply to
loutent

Reply to
Mike

It is a very good idea. Maybe better if you cut the PVC into small pieces so individual ones can roll as you pull sheets out and the sheet doesn't have to just slide over them.

My cart, which will be rebuilt soon was about 13" wide. This is WAY too skinny. I will likley go 18" inside and figure out riggers to get to 2' or so. I also plan to drop the sheet goods down to lower the center of gravity. A 1" piece of HDF is VERY heavy, not stable, and a danger in a cart if not built correctly.

I would also recommend dividers in the cart to keep sheets from shifting against each other. When they do it makes it very difficult to remove them.

Locking casters are a must, otherwise the cart is sliding around when you are trying to put in/take out sheets.

Alan

Reply to
arw01