Rolling lumber/sheet goods cart

Anyone have a good plan (preferably free...) or a good place to look for a plan for one of these puppies? There were a couple in ShopNotes. The materials lists and cutting guides are free, but I can't figure out where all the parts go. One had a pretty nifty set up for cutting panels out of 4x8' sheets (bit less expensive, less-accurate, and less space-consuming than the ones you see at HD or Lowe's).

Reply to
Steve

---------------------------------------- You'll have to narrow the scope of your question.

Is this a cart for storing in process work pieces?

Looking for a dolly to handle a 4x8 sheet by yourself?

As far as 4x8 sheet goods are concerned, store them flat.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Take a look.

Lew Hodgett

Morris Dovey

There was a thread mid last Sept on this subject("sheet storage") and another at the end of Oct("sheet storage - flat vs on-edge"). Both had many good posts. Google it. One of mine is repeated below. Art

--------- Mine is similar to this one

I have had no warping issues at all with the sheet goods I have on it. Like you I bought some HD $25 sheets a couple of years ago and the remaining ones are still in great shape. On my cart I used both sides for sheet goods and made the center A frame narrower in width as I wasn't planning on storing much in it anyway. I used 5/8" BC which was warped to begin with as it was what I had on hand. After assembly everything was nice and flat. The ends of the A, and the 2" holes in the top, provide plenty of space for clamping stored sheets to it to keep them flat. I can send you some pics if you want. I'll be adding a panel cutting jig to one side but that is still in the planning stage right now. Art

Reply to
Artemus

Thanks for challenging me to think this through more carefully, Lew.

Artemus someplace further down in this thread references the ShopNotes Issue 55 roll-around. That's one of the two I found from them* (and the one where I couldn't suss out where all the pieces went). The other was the Panel-Cutting Lumber Cart from Issue 99. This arrangement would obviate the need to wrestle a full sheet of plywood onto a table saw which, frankly, scares me.

The real goal here -- since I don't have the room to store plywood sheets flat -- is putting the maximum storage in the minimum floor space. #99 looks like pretty minimal storage, though I guess you could store cut-offs under the panel jig by adapting the bins from #55. 99 also feels a bit short at 4 feet.

Storing in-process pieces is of less importance. I would need storage more for long boards than sheet goods. It's unusual that I have plywood just hanging around, rather than for a specific project**. But I did stumble over a couple hundred board feet of cherry (my new favorite wood!) for a decent price on Craigslist. A man can feel rich with a stash like that. (And some poplar got thrown in with the deal, too.)

To recap: I like the panel-cutting jig, need to store some sheet goods, a bunch of long boards, some cut-offs and save floor space. Storing in-process pieces just seems too organized. I subscribe to that clean-desk, sick-mind thing, much to Jane's chagrin.

*
**Like the ShopNotes Miter Work Station from #110, now in progress. The cabinets just got hung this evening. (There was a slight delay while I learned how to insulate and drywall the garage.)
Reply to
Steve

On Thu, 06 May 2010 20:00:24 -0500, Morris Dovey wrote the following:

pineywood, Morris. I remember that premium studs used to look like that. Any more, the waney, knotty, case-hardened crap they sell for studs is ghastly. Or is that just The Canuckistani's Revenge wood they're exporting at us?

-- All national institutions of churches, whether Jewish, Christian, or Turkish, appear to me no other than human inventions, set up to terrify and enslave mankind, and monopolize power and profit. --Thomas Paine

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Those came from the Gilchrist-Jewett lumberyard in Waukee, Iowa. They helped me pick through a couple of pallets of 20-footers to find the best of the bunch for a couple of shop projects.

It was all from the US and only slightly more spendy than at the BORG or Menards.

Reply to
Morris Dovey

-------------------------------------- Sent this to somebody else.

YMMV

Circular Saw Cutting Guide (BTW, do you have a circular saw?) A must for breaking 4x8 sheets into usable parts, unless you have lots of runout tables for your table saw. Just add a 4'x8'x2" cheap foam sht on the ground for the ply sht to lay on and you are in business.

I would need storage more for long boards than sheet goods.

-------------------------------------- Take a look at WoodSmithShop lumber rack.

--------------------------------- You'll learn

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

why not paste the link for that one first

Reply to
Picasso

those new yankee episodes are readily available

i downloaded about 30 of them in torrent form, i will chekc later if the working helpers is there, but if not i found the .avi quite easily with a quick search of working helpers new yankee

Reply to
Picasso

On Fri, 07 May 2010 00:49:50 -0500, Morris Dovey wrote the following:

Must have been a slow day for them, eh? Do you drive a flatbed?

Bueno, bwana.

-- Live forever or die in the attempt. -- Joseph Heller, Catch 22

Reply to
Larry Jaques

They're good folks and responded well to being treated well. I waited patiently while they took care of a couple of contractors who'd followed me in, and they were intrigued by my drawings and rough-cut list. I think they were fascinated with the projects.

I drove a not-new car with an 8' HF trailer (with pretty BLO-finished sides), and they cut the stuff to the (8' and 10') lengths I needed, and I loaded as they cut.

I just /wish/ I had a truck!

They may have been afraid this scrawny old guy would have a heart attack in their yard... :)

Reply to
Morris Dovey

is the one Art referred to:
combined a panel-cutting jig from Issue 48 (not on-line) as an option.

55 w/option looks like the best bet for me.
Reply to
Steve

On Fri, 07 May 2010 20:58:48 -0500, Morris Dovey wrote the following:

Cool x2.

OK.

Doesn't everyone (who doesn't own one)? I'm a happy Tundra owner.

-- Live forever or die in the attempt. -- Joseph Heller, Catch 22

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Maybe they were intrigued by your drawing and cutlist as well as your stature and had some respect for you. I know a few smaller statured older fellas I would put up against some young lads and the old guy works out better every time.

RP

Reply to
RP

Steve wrote

I recently built this cart and it is really nice, holds a ton of stuff in a surprisingly small space.

I used Sketchup using the freely downloadable specifications at the site above. One thing I changed though is I used 2 casters in the middle with one on each end. I think thats better as it gives support in the middle, and each end of the rack. I used 3/4 ply for the base, and OSB for the sides and a couple of the shelves because I'm a cheap SOB.

This is a good project to use sketchup on if you are looking for an excuse to sharpen your sketchup skills...

Jack Stein

...long ago I tried this design and found out that you're relegated to the straightness of whatever you attach to the board to guide the saw...at my local specialty tool supply, however, I ran into straight/edge rulers in 4, 6, and 8 foot lengths; it didn't take long to attach 'em and I've been working with *extremely* straight field cuts ever since. These things also come in handy for trim work...if you're tired of stretching your tape out and burning an inch, just keep these things close by and place and mark your mouldings...

cg

Reply to
Chasgroh

In the SFWIW category one of the most useful tools in the old boat yard were a pair of 2"x2"x1/8"x96" aluminum angles.

Not only do the provide a straight edge for a circular saw, router, etc, but add a pair of saw horses and you have a painting table.

Set up the saw horses about 6'-7' apart, place angles at each end of the horses, knife edge up, and you are ready to paint parts for drawers, cabinet doors, what ever.

When finished, knock set up down and store till needed again.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett