Home Depot and power tools

Page 6 of 6
Mike Marlow wrote:

That, and HD has not been brilliantly managed in the past several years. HD stock prices tanked several years ago (~$50 down to ~$30) and held nearly steady for the past 5 or 6 years. Even when the economy and housing market were doing well, their stock prices were sucking wind, never reaching the $50 post-9/11 price (yes, that is right, after the 9/11 crash, HD recovered to $50, then headed straight south). Lowe's hasn't done a whole lot better, but seems to be more consistent.
Bottom line, HD really can't blame this debacle on the economy, they have a more fundamental problem.

With-in a few miles of my home I have a Home Depot and a hardware store that has been around since the 50s. If I want to buy a large tool in HD it's in a box, if I want to buy the same tool in the hardware store he has a catalog (picture) and can order it for me. So it is about a horse a piece.
Most tool makers have excellent web sites were you can get a wealth of knowledge on what you're after, which in most cases will be more accurate than the salesperson anywhere. So I have no problem buying that way if I've done my research. At which point it comes down to who has the best price.
--
Mike
Watch for the bounce.

Wow, and I was just at my local Lowes store and their power tool area seems to be larger than the last time I was in there. Three larger sizes was set up, a Delta, Dewalt and a Bosch were there.
Bob Alexander wrote:

I've always had a strong preference for Lowes over HD. I've been in HD a thousand times and I still can't just go directly to what I'm looking for. I'm almost always able to do that at Lowes. I have to be desperate to shop at HD these days.... and I've bought some big tools there: my table saw and my floor standing drill press.
--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN
mschnerdatcarolina.rr.com
"Mortimer Schnerd, RN" <mschnerdatcarolina.rr.com> wrote:

Lowes has better lighting (nice to See what you're buying), is overall cleaner, and lately seems to have more knowledgeable help. Kinda different having the sales clerk point out the merits of several brands of saw!
When I comes to HD or Lowes so much of what we see in our local one has to do with the manager and maybe their immediate boss. The HD near me was definitely in bad shape when I moved into my home five years ago. However about three or four months ago it was obvious someone new took over, it is now better organized, cleaner and employees are asking if you need help again. It is one with large displayed tools removed, but I can deal with it.
Meanwhile the local Lowes' which I use to drive the extra fifteen to twenty minutes to has steadily gone down hill, seems to have a huge number of employees all moving briskly somewhere, but actually doing nothing. Reminds me of the Drill Sergeant from basic training who let us goof off one afternoon but told us to "Make sure you mill about smartly!". The tool area looks like a tornado went through and it's the one place you can never find anyone to help. The condition of the tools on display is definitely not making Porter-Cable, Delta and Black & Decker merger any sales, it looks like a swap meet thirty minutes before closing. The placards would be better.
Yet I've been in other ones of both and it varies so much from store to store, you just really have to pick and choose. The number one rule for both is don't go on the weekend especially in the spring.
--
Mike
Watch for the bounce.