Hoarding?

Now look back at the time it took you to find that one thing each time. Multiply that by the times you have done it. How much has that small handful of hardware cost you? It's a stunning price, isn't it?

I've almost weaned myself from that by buying extras when I buy hardware. The cost of 10-20 individual nuts is usually higher than buying a whole box of 100 (which I'll eventually use) at the fastener store, and sometimes at the hardware store, so I'll buy the box. That covers all the repeat scenarios for the most common hardware.

I left all my jars of hardware in my old garage when I moved north. Not being able to completely wean myself from jars, I found that the last guy to own this new house left dozens of little 3" plastic cubes of mixed hardware and a hexagonal candy store cannister of the same. Joys!

Yeah, I doubt we'll ever get away from the hoarding of hardware. It's a guy thing. But I still like the new boxes of hardware, especially since I found the dirt cheap prices for American hardware at the fastener store. New beats jar any day, in my book.

-- While we have the gift of life, it seems to me that only tragedy is to allow part of us to die - whether it is our spirit, our creativity, or our glorious uniqueness. -- Gilda Radner

Reply to
Larry Jaques

An engineer friend recently showed me his set of a dozen pill sorter pans he uses for hardware. Many thanks to the pharmacy for those! That's on my to-do list: build a 12 x 18 x 2" sorting tray with a funnel outlet. I already have a piece of door skin and some 1/2" baltic birch ply.

Kinda neat, too, huh?

Sorting by type saves an immense amount of time when you need to find something in a mix, and a big tray lends a hand.

-- While we have the gift of life, it seems to me that only tragedy is to allow part of us to die - whether it is our spirit, our creativity, or our glorious uniqueness. -- Gilda Radner

Reply to
Larry Jaques

I was going to ask if you hollowed out that fruitcake with a router and how quickly the dead old thing dulled the bit, but then I saw the word "tin" behind it. Neever mind...

-- While we have the gift of life, it seems to me that only tragedy is to allow part of us to die - whether it is our spirit, our creativity, or our glorious uniqueness. -- Gilda Radner

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Note to Greg:

1) Obtain a cheap set of Chinese needlenose pliers. (US-made pliers have hardened tips so forget trying to file those.)

2) Unless you got very, very lucky and found a pair with actual sharp teeth, take a US-made triangular file and file 2 small V notches into the needle noses very close to the end, perpendicular to the length of the pliers. These will cup around the nail.

3) Use those to hold small nails and brads while you start 'em.

OR

4) Try picture frame pliers
to press them in.

-- While we have the gift of life, it seems to me that only tragedy is to allow part of us to die - whether it is our spirit, our creativity, or our glorious uniqueness. -- Gilda Radner

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Larry Jaques wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Interesting idea...

I've thought about building something to automatically sort by length. I figure if I can at least find a compatible length, finding a compatible screw nail or bolt should be much easier.

Might be fun to do even if it doesn't work out...

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

That's awesome... nice sorter.

Reply to
tiredofspam

My dad not only had that, but he made a carousel of sorts.

Took a 4x4 and mounted baby jars all along the lenght on 4 sides the ends had a shaft that fit into holes drilled in 2x4's that hung from the joists above.

Reply to
tiredofspam

Few years back HF had these on sale for 24.95. I got 3 of them and made some wall rackts to mount them and they have worked well for a lot of parts, fasteners, pen blanks, tool accesories ect.

Reply to
Mike M

You didn't expect them to match exactly, did you? I guess that's part of the skill--the insight. I'll have you know that a water pump with stay on a 1969 Buick with barely half of it's 14 or so bolts. They just snapped off, and EZ-Out'ing them was ineffective.

Reply to
Bill