Hoarding

DerbyBorn scribbled

HTF did she survive that?

Reply to
Jonno

I'd guess that the part that hit her was stopped before it did too much damage, by the surrounding structure hitting the ground.

Reply to
Mike Barnes

Jeesus - how many tons does that thing weigh?

And they secured the top fixings right at the top of a brick wall that had no downward load on it (the roof seems to be supported further along)?

Reply to
Tim Watts

"Police have cordoned off the area while inspectors from Clear Channel survey the scene"

I wouldn't let the them anywhere near it, get H&S and some structural engineers in to report on it ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

Surely, Clear Channel can't be paying them enough to interfere with a crime scene? But, I'm amazed that the safety inspectorate aren't all over it already.

Reply to
GB

But it's in the Daily Mail, it must be true.

Reply to
Mike Barnes

And might the police not look rather foolish if they denied Clear Channel's staff or agents *supervised* access to the scene, only to find another hoarding came down later in the week killing someone; all followed i.d.c. by a Coroner's reports that Clear Channel could and would have avoided the fatality if they'd been allowed to see from the first hoarding the mistakes their (former!) subcontractor had made?

Reply to
Robin

It looks as if they assumed the brickwork was tied in to the building and/or formed a masonry corner with the back wall. In fact it was just like a parapet really.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

Not at all like that silly police force that ignored an alarm at a diamond vault and let the robbers finish in peace.

Oh wait...

Reply to
Tim Watts

She suffered leg and hip injuries, so presumably it missed any vital organs.

Reply to
Nightjar

I was rather worried around these parts by the number of scaffolding structures which failed during the high winds in my area recently. Have we lost the art of making stuff safe? Brian

Reply to
Brian-Gaff

how many youngsters do you know that have a clue about engineering?

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Nightjar scribbled

It's not just the damage, the shock must have been enormous.

Reply to
Jonno

How many youngersters have even a chance, most of those jobs are advertised abraod before they are here. SHow me a place or site that trains yuoung en gineers. If you want to do engineering go to university. We train electroic and electrical engineers for most the first year of teh course uses circuit simiulation to teach. I think this is why moore than ha lf my meters have blown 200ma to 10 amp fuses. When a student is asked to mearure the current coming out of a PSU to their circuit they put the DMM to current mode and connect it across the 5V/12V rail and wonder why the voltage drops to zero. They learn why in the 2nd ye ar, when they get to do practical work.

Reply to
whisky-dave

I woke up some years ago to find my road was closed due to a long

4 or 5 story scaffolding at the other end of the road having blown down over night. Fortunately, it was around 4am, otherwise it would have killed someone. It had come away from the building (which was being converted into flats) at one end, and doubled over into an arch across half the road, whilst the other end was only slightly curved over, resulting in a gradual twist of almost 180 degrees from end to end.

I would love to know how on earth they managed to take it apart, but I was away for a couple of days so I didn't see that done. I rather imagined that undoing any of the couplings would result in a hell of a "twang", and further collapse, which no one would want to be anywhere near.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Perhaps the simulator should have an option to reset the PC when asked to do something which would destroy a meter or component.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Straps to take the tension, which can then be gradually released once a strategic clamp or tube is cut.

Reply to
Adrian

"Last year, I couldn't spell, 'engineer' and now I are one"???

Reply to
gareth

Shock is a very unpredictable thing; see the case of the teacher who cut off his own hand with a power saw in the thread entitled 'Handy'. Some people would not have survived seeing their own hand lying on the floor.

In this case, the woman not only remained concious, she was also sufficiently together to dial 999 herself.

Reply to
Nightjar