HVLP paint spraying....

Awl --

Is it possible to turn a regular run-of-the-mill paint sprayer (siphon type, used with a pressurized paint pot) into HVLP? I'm thinking, just turn down the air pressure to the gun, turn up the pressure to the paint pot?? It couldn't be that simple, could it?? LOL

Or is there a different atomization process in HVLP?

Reply to
Existential Angst

True HVLP guns use a turbine compressor, like a vacuum cleaner in reverse, a big air hose and very low pressure. The finish just wafts out of the gun. I got to play with one at a woodworking show, you could control it about like an airbrush, the edges of the finish cloud were that defined. Not much bounce-back from an interior surface, either, like the inside of a cabinet. The demonstrator at that show was touting it as being "green", suited to spraying water-based lacquers and varnishes. I've also used one of the so-called HVLP conversion guns that hook up to a regular compressor. They do take less pressure, the ones I have are top-feed and have a whole lot more overspray. They take less air, too, but aren't the same as a real HVLP outfit. They can make an otherwise marginal compressor more useful.

You probably aren't going to turn a siphon-fed gun into any sort of conversion gun. If you want one of the conversion guns to try out, HF regularly blows them out on sale for $20 or so. Worth it if you just want to try out the concept. You'll need the stand to load one, though. HF had a real HVLP outfit for about $80, haven't looked lately to see if it's still cataloged. Don't know how good it is, either.

Stan

Reply to
Stanley Schaefer

I was hoping, I was hoping.... LOL

I see from Stans response that they are two diff. animals. Inneresting how well-defined the edges are, in HVLP -- almost, well, exciting!! :) If the HF HVLP is only $80 and available, I might try it out.

Btw, that HF paint pot is *totally* different than using the siphon cup that comes with the spray gun. The siphon action simply can't deliver the volume/coverage that the pressurized paint pot can. The regulator on the paint pot gives another level of control, as well.

Later, I'll post my saga, learned quite a bit.

Reply to
Existential Angst

Be careful there , that HF HVLP may just be a grav feed gun with a big orifice on the mixer cap . As Stanley says above those don't use a traditional copressor .

A cabinet shop I worked at used those pots for contact cement . Really puts out some volume as you said .

Reply to
Snag

Conversion HVLP works OK, but is a big waste of energy compared to using a turbine. The turbine also delivers drier air.

Reply to
ATP

It's still there and it still works just fine.

Reply to
Richard

I have a couple HF conversion guns, The older 43430 and a current model

66222. Both work well for the price. They are knock-offs of SATA. You do have to look them over close before you buy though. There are problems with the passages being drilled off center on some. Not a good thing.

I also have a set of the 94572 They are not a bad gun, they are a knockoff of Iwata units (Although Iwata are also made in China so these may be from the same plant, just the other side and re-badged)

Here is some helpful info on setting one up and what to look for.

work pretty good for base/clear paint. But like all the hybrids you need a bunch of air to make the work properly.

Reply to
Steve W.

They raised the price to $120. It is on sale now for $99.

Reply to
dadiOH

So $80 with the Sunday 20% coupon in the paper.

I've used the HF conversion guns for spraying a lot of shellac on small woodworking projects, work well for that. The local Rockler has small pointy supports for doing that sort of thing. Wouldn't want to try doing a house or a car with the things, but for my small stuff, they work OK. Nice thing about shellac is the easy cleanup. Even if the stuff dries in the gun, you can get it going again with a little alcohol.

Stan

Reply to
Stanley Schaefer

If you're considering a HF HVLP sprayer, try TCPGLobal instead .

Seem to be the same as Harbor Freight and TCP keeps the parts and different sized needles and aircaps in stock. Went to them when HF couldn't provide me a larger needle and cap for the purple gun. Incidentally, the one that came with the TCP gun fits my HF gun just fine. YMMV.

Reply to
J. Clarke

That is NOT the same as the HF system I posted a.

Those are guns - no compressor.

Reply to
Richard