Hitachi M12V for table?

I have a Lee Valley router table that I had a PC 7529 router mounted in. It has started not holding it's speed under load, goes way up and down while under load, OK under no load. I doubt that it will be worth it to try and get it fixed so I'm looking for a good non-PC replacement. What do you guys think of the Hitachi M12V?
Thanks Steve
That's a plunge router isn't it ? Does it have a height adjustment knob? I think the Hitachi is a fine router but any plunge router in a router table benifits from a fine adjustment knob or crank..
Lenny
On Sun, 20 Jul 2003 01:25:01 GMT, "Sam"

Yes it is a plunge router. Yes it has a height adjustment knob.
You've never watched "The Router Workshop." have you? Those two make me wonder why anyone would want to lean and squint for adjustment when the whole insert/router can come up top the table for easy setting.
I have an M12V. It's not the router my Bosch is, but it doesn't do the same job, either.
wrote:

It
guys
At the "fiddle" level, the adjustment knob comes into play. Little deeper, little shallower, it's guess, cut and look.
Not sure what the fence has to do with it.
Have you watched "the Router Workshop?"

Yep, turn the knob from under the table to raise/lower the bit.
As the purpose of the fence would only be to isolate the bearing, if any, it's also easily adjusted as required by a tap in or out. Old guy with the growth on his head uses a tackhammer "microadjuster" all the time. So do I.
You _are_ using simple clamp-on fences like the boys on the program versus those frighteningly expensive fiddly commercial monstrosities?

I too have a M12V in my table. The same table they use on the Router Workshop show. I want to buy another one soon so I can use it for dovetailing and general use. I am very satisfied with it. It has the power (3HP) and speed adjustment to do anything you'd want to do.
wrote:

It
guys
Just bought mine at Lowe's due to the info on this newsgroup! They alerted me to the sale. I LOVE it!! Powerful, quiet, very easy starting, it's great!

I too have the Lee Valley router table system (and love it) and I use a Hitachi M12V router.
The router is great for the table as it is plunge and it is also a 3hp variable speed machine. I usually keep it set for fairly slow rpm - cuts down on burn marks with the cherry I use.
I've also use the Lee Valley bit raising attachment (forget it's name) and that works pretty well.
Having things to do again, I would certainly equip my table with the Hitachi M12V, however I might consider using the "Router Raizer" for faster, finer adjustments to bit depth. Note that you will only be able to adjust from the bottom (under the table) unless you want to drill through the quarter inch steel table top.
Brian

It
guys