High-end biscuit joiner vs low-end

Doug Winterburn:

I think that this issue is not about whether one can afford to buy petrol. That's too naive and self-centered for me. I think it is about what our country can afford; how many sons and husbands we can afford to squander in oil wars, for example.

Davoud

Reply to
Davoud

So now the left has added RVs to their list of things to ban.

Reply to
Doug Winterburn

Davoud wrote in news:060620081136372416% snipped-for-privacy@sky.net:

I try to avoid running empty. With the Prius, I've been able to mostly succeed doing that half the time. (Finding a load BOTH ways would be great, but impractical.)

Not everyone will work that way, and some guys want the same delivery charge for a plastic bag as they do for a $4000 order.

Agreed. I just don't understand these guys who drive light truck "refrigerator haulers." I could probably load more stuff in to a Prius than I could the back of their truck.

Reply to
Puckdropper

Doug Winterburn:

Davoud:

Doug Winterburn:

Easy, there, big fella. Who said anything about banning RV's!? The only thing I did was (obviously) strike a nerve. It's your RV and it's your war, and if you are enjoying them, what else matters?

Seriously, I would never ban RV's or SUV's or other ridiculous gas guzzlers. I would simply tax fuel according to consumption. I would pay about $.25 with my Prius, more for my Avalon. You would pay about $500 per gallon for your RV. The folks in the middle with their SUV's would pay a middle price -- $400 per gallon, let's say. More taxes? Yes, to pay for your war. Besides, these would be voluntary taxes. No one would have to pay them if they didn't want to!

Davoud

Reply to
Davoud

The "two garbage can sized bed?" Nothin' like a Ford Explorer SporTrac or H2 SUT to haul a REAL load!

At the bike shop, we outfitted a 2005 Prius with a Yakima roof rack for a DirecTV installer!

**
**

B A R R Y

Excuse me for drifing on-topic!

If you want a plate jointer to make cabinets then I'd recommend you try out pocket screws first (if you haven't already). You can build entire cabinets with pocket screws and they hold better than biscuits will. Plus no clamping. For kitchen cabinets, put pocket screws on the outside of the carcass to attach face frames. No pocket holes are visible after they're installed. Cabinets sides visible at the end of a run can be covered with a panel. That makes scribing the end cabinet to the wall a lot easier too.

I'd also rather use headless pins over biscuits for attaching face frames. A pin driven 35 degrees from the back (side into face) will virtually be invisible. Just up the PSI a bit over what's recommended to countersink the pin. If the hole still bothers you then leave sawdust in it after sanding and you'll never see it.

Biscuits work well for edge joining pieces but I'm finding them less useful than I thought I would.

Reply to
dayvo

I am curious--how many "sons and husbands" do you believe have been "squandered in oil wars"? And how does that compare to the number "squandered in the War Between the States" or the number "Squandered defeating the Axis" or the number "squandered due to drunk drivers"?

Don't anybody help him please.

Reply to
J. Clarke

Wow is that so wrong about never complaining about quality. I have been so disappointed with my Delta purchases. I bought an American made 14" Band saw and it was a POS. No alignment until I took the pins out. I bought a Delta Contractor saw. ... The table is so dished.

I bought a Lie Nielsen low angle block plane, and there is a defect in the blade. At first it looked like a little line.. but as I sharpen it, I can now see the line was a void in the metal. Now I don't even need a magnifier or loupe to see that it is a void.

When you pay more, it upsets you that the quality isn't what it should be.

Chef Juke wrote:

Reply to
tiredofspam

What did LN say about your blade?

**
**

B A R R Y

Ah, the liberal guilt/blame game. If there be blame to lay, it is at the feet of liberal politicians who have made us dependent on foreign oil by banning the use of our own resources. If you voted them in, the blame is also yours.

Reply to
Doug Winterburn

Hear, hear. I had plans, once upon a time, to get an old semitrailer or bus and make it into a mobile home to travel in leisure. No more. The investment in the rig alone will keep me in hotels for years. Never mind the inconvenience driving some rig like that, finding parking for it, getting hassled by cops and council staff and enraged camp-ground owners who feel you're ripping them off by not staying in their camp ground (You laugh? Recently really happened in these parts: camp ground owners demonstrating against the council because camper van owners were staying in a municipal carpark overnight). Then you'd probably want to tow a small car with the rig, so you can actually get around to what you want to look at..

Be much easier to keep the luxury estate I've got and stay in hotels. The interest on the capital I don't spend will probably pay for my petrol :-P

LOL -Peter

Reply to
Peter Huebner

B A R R Y wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Exactly, as my grandmother says, complaining works! Many manufacturing companies don't want to lose you as a customer, so if you call to complain they'll try to make it right.

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

ESPECIALLY Lie Nielsen!

**
**

B A R R Y

Oh good God, how ignorant or naive can you be?

Still, I kept

Yeah, hauling lumber for your personal gratification is reason enough excuse for killing people in Oil War II. So once you change your mind on that matter the world should too.

Reply to
Leon

Get a Gold Wing and make an adventure out of it.

Reply to
J. Clarke

I actually do have a full Kreg pocket hole jig setup and have used it for some items so far, but have ended up doing more with biscuits...not that I might not change that in the future...

-Chef Juke "EVERYbody Eats when they come to MY house!"

Chef Juke

If you wanted to buy a high end biscuit joiner you should have bought a Lamello.

Reply to
bob

I bought a PC biscuit joiner. I didn't like it and sold it a couple years later. For me, the model I had just couldn't keep the fence parallel to the cutter. Beyond that, it was a well made machine.

Besides, I like mortise & tenon and edge gluing sans anything, biscuits or otherwise works out fine for me.

Reply to
bob