High-end biscuit joiner vs low-end

Page 6 of 6
Doug Winterburn:

I think that this issue is not about whether one can afford to buy petrol. That's too naive and self-centered for me. I think it is about what our country can afford; how many sons and husbands we can afford to squander in oil wars, for example.
Davoud
--
usenet *at* davidillig dawt com

Davoud wrote:

Doug Winterburn:

Davoud:
Doug Winterburn:

Easy, there, big fella. Who said anything about banning RV's!? The only thing I did was (obviously) strike a nerve. It's your RV and it's your war, and if you are enjoying them, what else matters?
Seriously, I would never ban RV's or SUV's or other ridiculous gas guzzlers. I would simply tax fuel according to consumption. I would pay about $.25 with my Prius, more for my Avalon. You would pay about $500 per gallon for your RV. The folks in the middle with their SUV's would pay a middle price -- $400 per gallon, let's say. More taxes? Yes, to pay for your war. Besides, these would be voluntary taxes. No one would have to pay them if they didn't want to!
Davoud
--
usenet *at* davidillig dawt com

Davoud wrote:

Ah, the liberal guilt/blame game. If there be blame to lay, it is at the feet of liberal politicians who have made us dependent on foreign oil by banning the use of our own resources. If you voted them in, the blame is also yours.

Davoud wrote:

I am curious--how many "sons and husbands" do you believe have been "squandered in oil wars"? And how does that compare to the number "squandered in the War Between the States" or the number "Squandered defeating the Axis" or the number "squandered due to drunk drivers"?
Don't anybody help him please.
--John
says...

Hear, hear. I had plans, once upon a time, to get an old semitrailer or bus and make it into a mobile home to travel in leisure. No more. The investment in the rig alone will keep me in hotels for years. Never mind the inconvenience driving some rig like that, finding parking for it, getting hassled by cops and council staff and enraged camp-ground owners who feel you're ripping them off by not staying in their camp ground (You laugh? Recently really happened in these parts: camp ground owners demonstrating against the council because camper van owners were staying in a municipal carpark overnight). Then you'd probably want to tow a small car with the rig, so you can actually get around to what you want to look at..
Be much easier to keep the luxury estate I've got and stay in hotels. The interest on the capital I don't spend will probably pay for my petrol :-P
LOL -Peter
Peter Huebner wrote:

Get a Gold Wing and make an adventure out of it.
--John

I recall those predictions in the 70's also. I think the Toyota Tundra had a lot to do with the F150's short falls also. Ford did not stop selling cars when the F150 was on top.
All the Detroit woes are from piss poor contracts with the Unions through out the last several decades. Toyota is not hurting nearly as bad and I keep seeing more and more Toyota trucks and SUV's all the time. BTY I just filled my Tundra with the 5.7 L engine, and got 15.4 MPG in strictly city driving. ;~) Now I will grant you that there were far too many people driving large vehicles that they should not have been driving in the first place. Watching the news a few nights ago a young guy in his early 30's was troubled because his 2002 Explorer cost him $80 every 3 days to fill up. Trade value was $3500 which was 1/2 KBB. He owes $8500. There is more of a ptoblem with his situation than rising fuel costs. 1. He apparently had a 7+ year loan. 2. He drives at least 1500 miles per month and probably has 108,000 miles on the vehicle. 3. No one was riding with him to work.
He did not do the math in the first place. Even at $40 to fill up every 3 days he was driving too much vehicle for his needs.

That's exactly why I have a Prius and an F250. The Prius is my daily vehicle, while the F250 is the "go get something big" vehicle. I'll put two or three tanks of gas in my Prius before I fill up the F250.
The math said the Prius would pay for itself in fuel savings over my 26 mpg Buick in about 10 years at $2.78 a gallon.
Obligatory woodworking content: The F250 contains the material for my latest project: Replacing the old decking around the pool with composite. Almost ready to begin installation. :-)
Puckdropper

"Puckdropper" wrote:

My guess is by the time you factor in depreciation, insurance, fuel, repairs and license costs, you are looking $0.75/mile, based on 10,000 miles/year.
Bottom line....................
Is ownership of that F250 worth $7,500/year this year and probably more next year?
Lew
*snip*

For what we do with it, yep. It essentially replaced a minivan in lumber hauling duties, as well as took on additional duties for bigger things like the 4 wheeler.
Puckdropper

Lew Hodgett:

Puckdropper:
Really? I knew in the back of my mind that my Nissan Titan had to go. It was a wonderful truck, one of the most comfortable vehicles I've ever driven. But it was killing people in Oil War II. Still, I kept pushing that to the back of my mind. I "needed it to haul lumber," or so I told myself.
One day, while driving it empty (as was usually the case) I was following a Home Depot "$19 for one hour" truck. That did it. I traded it for a Prius the next day. (Pickups were still in high demand, and the Titan was cherry; CarMax gave me a better-than-retail trade-in.)
I just got a load of synthetic decking from a professional supplier who will deliver free _if_ you let them pick the day and time of delivery for maximum efficiency. Not everyone can do that, of course, but I had my load within 36 hours of ordering it.
There are certainly a lot of people who have a legitimate need for a light truck -- farmers, contractors, &c, but that number is _far_ lower than the number of people who _own_ light trucks.
Davoud
--
usenet *at* davidillig dawt com

"Davoud" wrote:

There is an old saying that comes to mind:
"If you buy them books and they eat the covers, not much you can do."
Lew

I try to avoid running empty. With the Prius, I've been able to mostly succeed doing that half the time. (Finding a load BOTH ways would be great, but impractical.)

Not everyone will work that way, and some guys want the same delivery charge for a plastic bag as they do for a $4000 order.

Agreed. I just don't understand these guys who drive light truck "refrigerator haulers." I could probably load more stuff in to a Prius than I could the back of their truck.

On 06 Jun 2008 18:45:24 GMT, Puckdropper <puckdropper(at)yahoo(dot)com> wrote:

The "two garbage can sized bed?" Nothin' like a Ford Explorer SporTrac or H2 SUT to haul a REAL load! <G>
At the bike shop, we outfitted a 2005 Prius with a Yakima roof rack for a DirecTV installer!

Oh good God, how ignorant or naive can you be?
Still, I kept

Yeah, hauling lumber for your personal gratification is reason enough excuse for killing people in Oil War II. So once you change your mind on that matter the world should too.

I use that line (without attribution...apologies) all the time. One of my favourites.
JP
On 02 Jun 2008 19:54:29 GMT, "dan" <> wrote:

If you wanted to buy a high end biscuit joiner you should have bought a Lamello.