HF tool alert

me Item #69544 3pc wood chisel set.

Great buy! $5.60 after your 20% coupon.

Been beating on the 1" chisel for almost 3 months doing a basement demolition and remodel. 800 sq. ft. Lots of notching for pipes etc. Still sharp enough to mortise a door hinge by simply pushing chisel. No, not as good as my Sandvik set, but if I drop it on the concrete, or hit a nail - nothing lost. Haven't even touched the two smaller (1/2" and 3/4") ones. No connection to HF. Just an old fart creating a separate living unit in daughter's basement. Yes, with a building permit.

Reply to
Ivan Vegvary

What is a building permit? I've had work done on our house and shop by contractors. Never saw a building permit.

Reply to
G. Ross

Seriously? Some zones do not allow building or additions with out permission. Imagine adding a room onto your home, in the basement, maybe a bedroom with no windows. Try to sell the home and have to remove the room because of code violations. Granted some things do not need a building permit but it is prudent to check before construction begins.

Reply to
Leon

Yeah, some people live in commie jurisdictions. Most wouldn't know the difference unless it can be seen from the outside (Google Earth, and such, have become popular by tax assessors. That's really the key. They want their taxes.

Depending on what it is, I might get one but never for internal modifications.

Reply to
krw

You were doing great until you spoiled the story with the "building permit"

Reply to
Unquestionably Confused

that is cheap and probably less than buying some used i may be get a set just to have around at that price when they get dull it would be cheaper to buy a set again

Reply to
Electric Comet

Yes, a new set would be cheaper. Had my Sandvik set re-ground and sharpened at a commercial shop. $6 per chisel!

Reply to
Ivan Vegvary

Starbucks gets that for a cup of coffee. If you just have 1 that's not too bad. These are not expensive chisels we're talking about, right? If that's the case, might as well DIY.

Reply to
Bill

Same here. I send extra tax money though.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

I would if I added more finished space or a bathroom, or such. Never for electrical modifications, partitions, sheetrock, or such. When I finish the basement I'll keep the ceilings open, which will make it technically "unfinished space" (no bathroom or heat, either) so I won't pull a permit.

When I sold my Vermont house, I had to pay a special assessment (close to $5000) to call it a three bedroom house. The builder permitted it as a two bedroom, though it clearly has three. There was a special school tax based on bedrooms, so I got nailed. Really dumb.

Reply to
krw

i also like the shaft going all the way through the handle rather than #69471 or #42429

i have a leevalley set but they came sharped with a micro-bevel and use them once in a while so they are still sharp

with these hf ones the leevally ones will be saved for careful work

Reply to
Electric Comet