Help with wood box valences for wide windows

SWMBO would like some oak box valences for a couple of windows in the living room. The windows are 100" wide. She doesn't want anything too fancy. I'm planning on at least two supports in the middle due to the width of the window.

I really haven't seen any wood valences so I'm a bit stumped about how to make them, mount them to the wall, etc. If anyone has any pointers to books, web pages, etc that describe how to make one of these, I'd appreaciate it.

Thanks,

Reply to
Mike Iglesias

OK, I will try to take a shot at describing what I have done for a window that large, actually larger. I used small, about six inch shelf angles screwed to the wall in about four locations that will be the height of the valence. The valence itself is a simple board or plywood long enough to go the full length. I place the board flat on top of the angles and drill a hole at each angle so I drop a short nail from the top through the board and angle, keeps the board in place in case it is bumped but you just take out the nails and the valence comes down easy for cleaning, etc. Then take the board down and attach end pieces and a front piece to the top board and end pieces. Your wife wants oak, maybe oak faced plywood if you can find it would be light, otherwise you may have to have some oak cut just for this project. In my case, I used plywood for the whole thing and covered it with foam and fabric. If you want to oak to show and look nice you may want to find quarter sawn material for the front and two ends. Good luck, GCS

Reply to
RESPITE95

Following up my post from earlier this week...

I took SWMBO to a local lumber yard (Ganahl in Costa Mesa) and she found a 6" base molding that she liked. I made the front and sides out of the molding (bottom of the base molding at the top), used a pine 1x6 for the top (since it won't be seen) and added some 1" cove molding at the top. They've been primed and one coat of paint is drying now. One more coat of paint tomorrow should do it.

Thanks for the suggestions. SWMBO is happy with the results, so I guess I did good today.

Reply to
Mike Iglesias