Harvesting Burled Wood

Walking through a srub field of downed trees the other day I came across a large oak with a burled growth on the side of the truck. The growth is approximately five feet in circumferance and as much as two feet deep in sections. I'm looking for sugestions on how to cut the growth out of, or off, the trunk? The tree is already down, so there is no worry about harming the tree, and the trunk is probably 8 to 10 feet around. Any ideas?

Reply to
Mark Eichin

Chainsaw... carefully.

HTH,

Reply to
Kenneth

A large chain saw, a big HD pick up, and four strong men and a boy comes to mind.

Reply to
Mike G

Call 1-800-Paul-Bunyan......

Bob S.

Good story, aint read that one in a long while.

Reply to
Jerry Gilreath

Uhh... what is the boy for? Entertainment for the four strong men who have spent too much time carting around large, imaginary burls?

Greg G.

Reply to
Greg G.

someone has to carry the lunches and hold the coffee cups.

Reply to
Mike G

OK. I've got all that covered, except the boy. I guess it wouldn't hurt to bring a come-along as well...

Mark

Reply to
Mark Eichin

March 2004 issue Wood magazine, page 42 A good Burl story.

Reply to
Calvin