Pie Carrier

My wife says she wants a pie carrier for holidays when we travel. Anybody have a source for plans, or any ideas on how to make this? Thanks.

Reply to
Jay

Jay asks:

Only pie carriers I've seen are Longabarger baskets and Tupperware plastics.

Charlie Self

Charlie Self

I have seen plans for a portable pie safe. It had a shelf to carry two pies, basically a box with a side latched door and handle on top. I saw it in an old (>15 yrs) woodworking magazine, sorry I don't have details.

Reply to
Phisherman

No big problem. Got a picnic basket? Cut a piece of 1/4" Birch or Luan plywood with your scroll or band saw to fit nicely inside, then make legs about 2 1/2 - 3" high out of some 3/4" dowel & screw them on in the corners. Put the pie in the bottom, maybe pack a towel around it to keep it from sliding around, set the shelf down over it and pack the rest of the goodies in the basket(or add a second shelf for a second pie if necessary). If you like, reply and I'll dig ours out and post a couple pics on ABPW.

Nahmie

Reply to
Norman D. Crow

Just make one. Plans, who needs 'em? Tom Someday, it'll all be over....

Reply to
Tom

I find the best pie carrier is a couple of lips surrounding an orifice filled with teeth and a tongue, with a hole at the back leading down into a storage area.

You just don't want to see what the pie looks like when you get it back out of there though.

Mmmmmmmm, pie....

Reply to
Silvan

On Mon 29 Dec 2003 05:01:43p, "Jay" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@corp.supernews.com:

Okay, now I'll jump in. If it was me, I'd think real hard about measuring the wife's pies and seeing what I could come up with. I assume we're talking about a one-pie carrier? Not one with a shelf so you could do two pies or maybe one pie and a casserole, like Phisherman was talking about?

I'd think about maybe lining the sides with something cushiony. And then I'd get some plain old box plans and adjust the dimensions for what I needed. The picture I get in my mind of is like Phisherman's plan, a box with half-inch thick sides and a side-opening door except the hinge is on the bottom, and a handle on top.

Y'know, I think that might be something my son-in-law's mother would like. She's always baking stuff.

Build a mockup out of mdf or cheap plywood. See how she likes it. Better yet, try drawing a freehand picture. Let her change dimensions. SWMBO really liked customizing that nightstand to suit herself - door opens this way, shelf in door to fit this thing, at this height, that sort of thing.

Dan

Reply to
Dan

That inside "cushiony" stuff will get pie slop all over it. I suggest a few coats of shellac.The carrier I made for SWMBO is of a framework of cherry, 1/4 inch red oak ply for the sides and top, on an oaken base. Front cover and top slide out to reveal shelved chambers for up to 4 pies, and each shelf is removeable to accomodate layer cakes of varying height. Tom >Subject: Re: Pie Carrier

Someday, it'll all be over....

Reply to
Tom

On Wed 31 Dec 2003 11:04:02a, snipped-for-privacy@aol.comEDY (Tom) wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@mb-m15.aol.com:

Yeah, but you could use something wipeable. Since the pie slop is going to get all over everything anyway, and somebody's going to have to wipe it off, seems like some sort of "bumper type" material would still work. But it's just an idea. I might experiment with it later...

Removable shelves for varying heights. Nice idea. :-) The cover and top slide off... no mechanics, easy access, easy cleaning. Hm.

You gettin' all this, Jay? :-)

Dan

Reply to
Dan