Find local wood dealers with search engine

I just tried out this internet search engine that uses your zip code, published in Fine Woodworking. It didn't find many places I know about, but still might help woodworkers looking for wood in your area. Not a bad link to bookmark in your favorites ...

Phisherman
    • P
  • Vote on answer
  • posted

Excellent.

Reply to
Proctologically Violated©®

from my zip it found several boutique type places but neither of the real suppliers....

Reply to
Bridger

closest wood dealers it found to me were 50+ miles away and it completely missed the 4-5 that are within 20 miles.

Reply to
Brian Henderson

Makes me chuckle... "Bookmark in your favorites." In the beginning, there were bookmarks. Then Microsoft unleashed Internet Exploder upon the world, and they couldn't or didn't call them "bookmarks" for some reason, so they called them "favorites" instead. The word "bookmark" was already part of the vernacular, and it remains common to this day, so we see the expression "bookmark in your favorites" showing up.

I'm not giving you a hard time, just posting a useless cultural observation. It's a potentially useful link.

Reply to
Silvan

It's also a pet peeve of mine. The bookmarks to shop related web sites are indeed my favorites. The bookmarks to the sites related to the un-fun parts of my job are definately NOT my "favorites." I have to go to these sites a lot and it irritates me to have to start the sequence by clicking on "Favorites" !!! On particularily bad days I have clicked and muttered a discouraging word at the same time. ;-)

Just FYI... In Microsoft FrontPage they're not 'Web Sites' they're 'Webs.'

-- Mark

Reply to
Mark Jerde

I always thought it was a dumb name too.

That might not be completely unreasonable, actually. Sounds goofy to us, but we're old. I hear it used a lot. Especially in foreign languages.

Can't say right off what they use for "surf" since the web was just barely around when I was learning this stuff, and I haven't really been keeping up. Something like "visitar los webs" sounds about right.

Yeah, here's some substantiation. From an abstract on a google search page. I'm not going to bother posting the URL.

"Después de visitar todos estos webs y analizar los argumentos...."

(after visiting all of these web sites/"webs" and analyzing the arguments....)

By the gods I need to get a life.

Reply to
Silvan

Especially since you can have more than one web on a web site.

Barry

Reply to
B a r r y B u r k e J r .