Help with a simple box

I need to make a very simple box with inside dimensions of 12 inches by

18 inches by 3 inches high. The problem is that this will contain a granite surface plate that weighs eighty-five pounds. Box material will be 4/4 white oak.

The sides are easy - four dovetailed corners. The top doesn't matter much as it won't support any weight. But the bottom... I really don't want to pick this thing up and have the bottom fall out and drop a heavy piece of rock on my foot.

How would you attach a bottom to this kind of box? Extend the eighteen inch sides below the twelve inch sides and use a sliding dovetail?

Reply to
Ed Clarke

Plywood (even 1/4" luan will do) into 1/4" deep groove (not a rabbet). You would have 61 linear inches of groove to support that rock.

-Steve

That is way more complicated than it needs to be.

** Posted from
**
Reply to
C & S

For 85 pounds, wouldn't you want at least 1/2 inch plywood?

1/4 seems a little flimsy to me.

S.

Reply to
samson

It's less than a pound and a half per linear inch - and the plate won't flex at all. It sure sounds flimsy, but the math says it's not. There is no point of uneven pressure unless I drop the box. At that point, it's going to come apart - as will whatever is under the point of impact.

Reply to
Ed Clarke

Can you simply attach the sides on top of the bottom? Let the edges of the bottom be exposed.

Reply to
Leon

I would put a dado in the sides and make the bottom captive. 1/2" plywood bottom should handle it.

Reply to
Lowell Holmes

If you really want to use dovetails how about dovetailing all the 18" joints together? ie top & bottom pins DT'd into front & back tails. One end opens to allow slipping the box onto the stone which has been slid (less than 1/2 way) off the benchtop. Reverse to extract the stone. I'd expect there to be less wrangling of the stone, and cursing, this way. Art

Reply to
Artemus

Instead of lifting the box, I'd think in terms of putting two handles on each side, for a two-man lift. Easiest would be two

2x2 oak sticks, protruding beyond the 12" dimension to let you grab 'em. Use 2" x 2" x 21.5" sticks, set the box atop 'em and glue/screw together. Then put the stone in the box. The top is a dust cover, basically...

How to gently lower the stone into the box: Drill drain holes in the bottom Fill the box with ice Set the stone on the ice ... take a long lunch break.

Reply to
whit3rd