Help with Furniture Storage

Page 1 of 3

Homies:
I'm working way early on this. In a few years my wife will retire and we'll take a long trip with an RV. Meanwhile, our meager possessions will be in storage. Since much of our furniture is hand-bashed by me, I'd hate to see it deteriorate. The question is, are we safe keeping it one of those rent-a-garages that's uncooled and unheated?
Bob
Bob Schmall wrote:

I wouldn't bet on it. Many self-storage facilities have climate-controlled units. Here's an example:
http://www.odentonselfstorage.com /

In Wisconsin? Shirley, you jest.
The temperature/humidity extremes will beat up the joinery and the finish.
You'd be better off loaning the pieces to family members until your return.
Then again, you could put them up on consignment in a nice gallery, and possibly look forward to a little nest egg on your return.
If they are particularly unattractive, and the consignment shop can be convinced to accept them - you will return to collect your babies without a storage charge being incurred. ;-)
Tom Watson wrote: <snip>

Tom, that is the best solution possible. You're a genius!

Uh replacing that furniture when you get tired of RV'ing may cost more than what you get for it and or sell it for.
Leon wrote:

for $18.95?
Bob
Dhakala wrote:

solution. The flaw here is that I want to keep the stuff, not sell it. But there is one piece that could be redone-- preferably by an alert chimpanzee-- to improve it.
Bob
Bob Schmall wrote:

No. In a word. If you go with one of the AC'd ones, check into the insurance coverage. It *MAY* be covered under your homeowners insurance, or may not. My cousin lost all her and her finacee's possessions when they were moving to a third house when their PS was burgled. The police were, of course, clueless. Yes, the place had on-site security.
Dave in Fairfax
--
reply-to doesn't work
use:

Amen brother
That's all we REALLY need.
Fresh water to drink, food to eat, clothes, shower, warm clean place to sleep, good health care, and good health.
That's it in a nutshell
All else is just "toys" when you think abt it.

Don't forget the tow behind (trailer) shop for those times when you want to be off the highway for a couple days and just want to relax You never know when you might want a new camp chair and set of tables :) CC
On Sun, 10 Jul 2005 19:47:40 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@privacy.net wrote:

Shower?
Lew said: As a lady one said to me, "If you have a place to sleep, good things to eat, and a warm place to po-po, you really don't need much more."
Think about it.
Hey, I know that girl! Tom
Lew Hodgett wrote:

drawing down the stuff inventory and plan to do more over the next few years. But I'm keeping the 1960s vintage Delta 8-inch jointer.
And my books.
Bob
On Sun, 10 Jul 2005 21:49:23 GMT, the opaque Bob Schmall

If you live in Hawaii, yes, probably. Anywhere else and you's in trouble, son.
The temp and humidity swings will kill them. Check with the moving people. They have long term storage in temp- & humidity-controlled buildings for not much more than the sillyass storage places which are always being broken into.
--
- Tom Mix Died For Your Sins -
--------------------------
Larry Jaques wrote:

Now that's esoteric. I thought it was F.W. Nietszche.
Bob
On Mon, 11 Jul 2005 13:33:23 GMT, the opaque Bob Schmall

No, Uncle Friedrich just thought up those sins. ;)
--------------------------------------------------- I drive way too fast to worry about my cholesterol. --------------------------------------------------- http://www.diversify.com Refreshing Graphic Design
Larry Jaques wrote:

How much deeper would oceans be if sponges didn't live there?
Bob with thanks to S. Wright

The old college graffitti:
God is dead         Neitszche
Nietszche is dead         God

Since you've got plenty of time to look around, you could fire off an e-mail to these guys, and see if they've got a climate-controlled option, or if you can request that the container be stored in a warehouse in a climate with more favorable conditions. http://www.pods.com/index.aspx Don't know much about them beyond the TV commercial, but it may be worth a look.