Taught first wood class

I taught my first woodworking class yesterday, a five hour session on how to make handcut dovetails at the local woodworking place. What a blast. I had a good group of five students, most of whom had tried a dovetail at least once. About half of them made at least one set that was nearly defect-free. The others had varying success, most pretty good except for one fellow who got a lot of practice with the pounded veneer/pounded pin patches. All but one made a second set that was much much better than the first set.

We spent a lot of time working on sawing technique; lining up the cut, standing correctly, holding the saw lightly -- but apparently we needed more. The biggest problem that several people had was in making pins that had a slight twist, so that they were a little tapered wide on the backside of the board.

I brought four decent saws to the session, and only one guy gravitated toward a dozuki. Another oddly liked a gent's saw, and the other three were going the western way. The guy who was using the dozuki had the best looking joints at the end. I don't use a dozuki, but I came away with the impression that it might be a little easier to learn on.

Anyway, I know there are probably lots of guys here who have been teaching for years. But I thought I'd post this anyway; it sure was a lot of fun.

Reply to
Nate Perkins

Nate Perkins wrote in news:Xns968F91F40D7AEnperkins2003yahoocom@207.217.125.201:

That sounds like it would have been fun to attend. What part of the world are you in? Are you going to do it again?

Patriarch

Reply to
Patriarch

Patriarch wrote in news:Xns968F97913E4DApatriarchatcomcastdo@216.196.97.136:

Northern Colorado, US.

It seemed to be well received by the students and the shop wants me to teach a few per year. I'm just having a good time and enjoying the experience.

Reply to
Nate Perkins

Congratulations on the class and having the confidence to try giving it!

Also, since the best way to learn is to teach, you're going to get better and better, with each class.... good on you, nate!

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Reply to
mac davis