Help with Furniture Storage

Homies:

I'm working way early on this. In a few years my wife will retire and we'll take a long trip with an RV. Meanwhile, our meager possessions will be in storage. Since much of our furniture is hand-bashed by me, I'd hate to see it deteriorate. The question is, are we safe keeping it one of those rent-a-garages that's uncooled and unheated?

Bob

Reply to
Bob Schmall

I wouldn't bet on it. Many self-storage facilities have climate-controlled units. Here's an example:

Dhakala

In Wisconsin? Shirley, you jest.

The temperature/humidity extremes will beat up the joinery and the finish.

You'd be better off loaning the pieces to family members until your return.

Then again, you could put them up on consignment in a nice gallery, and possibly look forward to a little nest egg on your return.

If they are particularly unattractive, and the consignment shop can be convinced to accept them - you will return to collect your babies without a storage charge being incurred. ;-)

Tom Watson - WoodDorker tjwatson1ATcomcastDOTnet (email)

(website)

Reply to
Tom Watson

No. In a word. If you go with one of the AC'd ones, check into the insurance coverage. It *MAY* be covered under your homeowners insurance, or may not. My cousin lost all her and her finacee's possessions when they were moving to a third house when their PS was burgled. The police were, of course, clueless. Yes, the place had on-site security.

Dave in Fairfax

Reply to
Dave in Fairfax

Tom, that is the best solution possible. You're a genius!

Reply to
Dhakala

Uh replacing that furniture when you get tired of RV'ing may cost more than what you get for it and or sell it for.

Reply to
Leon

Times change, people change.

Forget about your furniture, sell it, give it away, or as T Watson suggests, place it on consignment.

If you want to do the RV thing, you have a much bigger problem, namely getting rid of a life time accumulation of "stuff" that you no longer need, if you are honest with yourself.

As a lady one said to me, "If you have a place to sleep, good things to eat, and a warm place to po-po, you really don't need much more."

Think about it.

Sooner or later, everybody has to face it.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

That's all we REALLY need.

Fresh water to drink, food to eat, clothes, shower, warm clean place to sleep, good health care, and good health.

That's it in a nutshell

All else is just "toys" when you think abt it.

Reply to
me

Don't forget the tow behind (trailer) shop for those times when you want to be off the highway for a couple days and just want to relax You never know when you might want a new camp chair and set of tables :) CC

Reply to
CC

Shower?

Reply to
George Shouse

If you live in Hawaii, yes, probably. Anywhere else and you's in trouble, son.

The temp and humidity swings will kill them. Check with the moving people. They have long term storage in temp- & humidity-controlled buildings for not much more than the sillyass storage places which are always being broken into.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Since you've got plenty of time to look around, you could fire off an e-mail to these guys, and see if they've got a climate-controlled option, or if you can request that the container be stored in a warehouse in a climate with more favorable conditions.

Don't know much about them beyond the TV commercial, but it may be worth a look.

Reply to
Prometheus

Lew said: As a lady one said to me, "If you have a place to sleep, good things to eat, and a warm place to po-po, you really don't need much more."

Think about it.

Hey, I know that girl! Tom

Reply to
tom

Tom is definitely a genius, but I'm not yet convinced that it's the best solution. The flaw here is that I want to keep the stuff, not sell it. But there is one piece that could be redone-- preferably by an alert chimpanzee-- to improve it.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Schmall

My thoughts exactly. Or do you know someplace that sells new furniture for $18.95?

Bob

Reply to
Bob Schmall

Lew, I've been thinking about it for several years. We're already drawing down the stuff inventory and plan to do more over the next few years. But I'm keeping the 1960s vintage Delta 8-inch jointer.

And my books.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Schmall

"Tom Mix died for your sins?" Now that's esoteric. I thought it was F.W. Nietszche.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Schmall

Thanks, Prom. I'll do that.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Schmall

$185 a month? Gulp.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Schmall

No, Uncle Friedrich just thought up those sins. ;)

Refreshing Graphic Design

Reply to
Larry Jaques