Gripper?

Page 6 of 7

On 8/15/2010 6:25 PM, Josepi wrote:

1
(get it?)
--
See Nad. See Nad go. Go Nad!
To reply, eat the taco.
On 08/15/2010 09:07 PM, Steve Turner wrote:

I was pressing "1" for English... (ba-dop, PSSSHH!)
--
See Nad. See Nad go. Go Nad!
To reply, eat the taco.

Hmmm, I reach around the blade while it's running, running down, thinking about running. Of course, I don't have a blade guard so maybe I pay more attention... Of course as I get older, my attention span is shrinking a little.... What to do, what to do? 50 years of dangerous habits are hard to break:-)
--
Jack
Gun control is not about guns; it's about control.

Actually the video illustrates a way to more safely cut the thin strips up to the point that your remaining stock becomes thin it self. Basically if you want to use all of your material to make thin stock you are going to end up with the fence close to the blade eventually. The video and the keeper pieces on the opposite side of the blade does not address cutting 3/4" wide stock into 3~4, 1/8" wide pieces.
The Gripper and "their" splitter addresses this.

Of course. That was the whole point of the video. I have a mag-switch thingy with a roller on the pointy end for this purpose.
The question was: "What safety rules does _he_ violate in that video?" Reaching around behind the blade was the only thing I saw.

Sure it did; "don't do that!".

We'll see. I ordered a pair. The price was right.

Seriously I too was skeptical for some time but now I would not want to be with out them. I truly think you will be happy with them. If you can get your hands on their DVD it has a world of suggested uses that make certain things possible.
I have not see all of the on-line videos on the site, perhaps they cover the gambit.

Yes, I plan on watching it. I've been looking at these things for some time, often scratching my head wondering how they were supposed to be used. ;-) I think the DVD comes with the widget. If not, it's a freebie on their site. When they went on sale I thought I'd ask here. Seems like a pretty unanimous endorsement, here, so I took the plunge. Kinda like FesteringTools. ;-)

Will do. I'm waiting to until I have one in my mitts so I can play with it while watching.
Thanks all!

Except affordable ...
Snip

Hey you have to compare apples to apples and oranges to oranges.
Festool sells several non corded tools that are as useful as the Gripper and less expensive. Sanding blocks, tape measures, clamps. ;~)
RE: Edge Banding (1/8"-1/4" x 3/4" strips)
Set up the fence, adjust blade to 1/4" max exposure, remove splitter and anti kick back pawls and use a push block at least 3/4" wide x 5"-6" high which is a sacrifical.
Remember the cut is not complete until the push block clears the bak of the table.
Yes, a runout table is required.
NEVER reach over the saw blade to retrieve stock for the next cut.
Walk around.
Works for me.
YMMV
Lew

Probably a safe way to do the job, but....
You would not want to be the guy paying the OSHA fine, if that were to come to pass in this shop.
I'm just saying.....
--
Jim in NC

When you say balance support you mean the bridge? I don't see how the bridge enhances feel any different than the normal mount position. I do see it useful for joining two or using the deflector. But not for grip. What am I missing.
On 8/13/2010 10:39 PM, Steve Turner wrote:

"tiredofspam" <nospam.nospam.com> wrote in message wrote:

Balance support = angle plate that bolts to the side. Keeps the gripper from rocking if used on narrow stock.
On 8/14/2010 4:20 PM, CW wrote:

Yes; if you're ripping a narrow piece that's taller than it is wide and the cutoff will also be too narrow for the second blade-straddling "leg" on the Gripper to rest, attaching the "balance support" (which extends down to the table surface) gives you back that second leg along with the stability it offers. Passing tall narrow pieces between the fence and blade is considerably more stable and safe with this arrangement as compared to traditional push stick jigs.
--
Free bad advice available here.
To reply, eat the taco.

Go out there and win this one for the Gripper!

...a lot better than losing one without a Gripper.
On Aug 13, 7:25pm, " snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz"

Pusher shoes can be lined with good, old-fashioned sticky friction tape to increase grip. The tape holds its grip for a long time, way after the annoying snotlike stickiness dries up.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------- The Gripper is quite a bit more than a pusher shoe. http://www.microjig.com/