Gripper?

But darn I am not in the market either....otherwise I'd be on it.

Reply to
Leon

With out question I would say "current latest models" from Delta, Jet, Powermatic...

Reply to
Leon

Yes, but they're still selling the older Unisaurs. I don't believe they've retrofitted a riving knife. I don't see one, anyway:

>>Imagine the controversy way back when, when the current style guard was

My bet is that it's their lawyers who have made this decision, not a government mandate.

Reply to
krw

That's only true if a competitor doesn't have that cost.

Reply to
krw

Powermatic has in the past had a superior arbor and trunion, IIRC SawStop has equal if not stronger.

Reply to
Leon

Looking at them today (business in Atlanta - must play with toys). I think the SawStop is every bit as good as the new Unisaw. I don't think either is worth twice an old Unisaw, though.

Reply to
krw

I believe you are correct, I have a Jet and don't see a retrofit for it either. You are aware of the Biese splitter kit that you could get, if you don't hace one already? Second best thing I would think.

Some way or another the manufacturers are being convinced.

Reply to
Leon

Yes, I plan on watching it. I've been looking at these things for some time, often scratching my head wondering how they were supposed to be used. ;-) I think the DVD comes with the widget. If not, it's a freebie on their site. When they went on sale I thought I'd ask here. Seems like a pretty unanimous endorsement, here, so I took the plunge. Kinda like FesteringTools. ;-)

Will do. I'm waiting to until I have one in my mitts so I can play with it while watching.

Thanks all!

Reply to
krw

-------------------------------- Remember my post (T/S Inertia) about Powermatic spinning 20-30 seconds longer than General or UniSaw on power down?

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Ever hear of OSHA????

--

Reply to
dpb

1910.213(s)(14)

Operators shall not ride the carriage of a veneer slicer.

Damn ... took all the fun out it!

Reply to
Swingman

Reply to
tiredofspam

Except affordable ...

Reply to
Lobby Dosser

Snicker/snort... :)

Reply to
dpb

----------

208Y/120 is 3 phase.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

No, I haven't seen it. I did see a Biese riving knife today at Woodcraft, but I thought it was for the new Unisaw.

There is a difference.

Reply to
krw

"tiredofspam" wrote

Good point.

Yes, it does, but there is a problem putting more 3 phase machines in place because of:

1) lack of space in the wire pull trough installed underneath the concrete. (slab on grade) 2) even more of a problem is the lack of space in the breaker panel for another 3 phase breaker. 3) lack of money for schools to spend on adding more panels or more wire pull space or otherwise updating electrical service. I am lucky to get enough money for an occasional new piece of machinery and other needed supplies for the shop.

The school district was ripped off by the contractor when the school was built. That and the inpecting of the work done and acceptance inspecting blew it. I am told that when they moved in to the school, they plugged a piece of equipment in, and found it would not turn on. They went to the breaker panel to check if the breaker had not been turned on, or was tripped off. They opened the panel cover door, and found that there were no breakers or wire installed from the panel to the saw stations. The contractor was already paid and gone, and they never went after them to complete the work. Perhaps that was how the work was speced. I don't know.

Reply to
Morgans

Yeah the new Unisaw does have a riving knife but for 10+ years Biesemeyer has offered a removable splitter for 2 or 3 different brand saws including the Unisaws.

Reply to
Leon

Yup.

Reply to
Leon

Snip

Hey you have to compare apples to apples and oranges to oranges.

Festool sells several non corded tools that are as useful as the Gripper and less expensive. Sanding blocks, tape measures, clamps. ;~)

Reply to
Leon