Glue Marks

I just started finishing my carefully made entertainment center. I fought with crown molding. I finally got it cut after giving up on my Unisaw and buying a DeWalt 12" double bevel compound miter saw. (Worked great!) I also made my first set of raised panel doors. All was looking great until I started to apply poly.
I took great care to avoid glue marks. I put tape on prior to glue up and that took care of most of them. I also sanded where a couple of spills happened but, sadly, I didn't take care of them all.
I have to go back and fix 3 or 4 small spots. I am afraid to sand too much for fear of sanding through the veneer.
Does anyone have any good ideas? Is pigment a possibility?
Rob
Try using a scraper or chisel to remove the glue.