Mission set update - just started!

Folks -

Well, I've gone and done it. Finally started chopping up all that QSWO for the 3 pc set (coffee and two side tables) Today I cut the leg squares and have them milled to size. I found two boards that'll be the drawer fronts - the ray flake does sort of a sunrise pattern across the board. I have the boards picked out for the top as well.

I did have trouble with one of the 8/4 boards. It had a pretty good size void in the center of the stock - it wasn't visible from the ends, and I didn't discover it until I cross cut the leg blanks. Jim at Mt. Storm in Windsor said he'd make it right. The other hitch is that when I figured the BF of the board and compared it to my invoice I found that I was

*significantly* overcharged for all of the 8/4 stock. I'll keep y'all posted on that as well. I haven't had any trouble with Mt. Storm, and even tho' what I am doing is "little little" compared to what they probably do, they've always been very helpful. There was a pretty big range in the MC of all of the oak I purchased, but it has pretty much settled out since it has been in the shop for about a month.

I've been reading Tauton's "Practical Design Solutions and Strategies" (2000) and the guidance is both inspiring and daunting. Their "design suite" of choices for building a table with drawers is amazing. Any *two* of their suggestions would turn a standard table into a brick um, kindling house, and there are *way* more than that. I don't think I've run into a bad book from Tauton, but then I'm a wood infoslut...

In their design, they show that the top divider rail is dovetailed into the top end of the legs. How the hell do you cut a joint like that in oak without a chest of scary-sharp chisels ready to go? Their design on the joinery would really make a hell of a table, so if you have any suggestions...

I am going to use shop made thick veneer to cover the flatsawn faces of the leg blanks - I'll trim them to allow for final size after I glue on the false faces.

More to come,

John Moorhead

Reply to
John Moorhead