finishing over glue

I'm regluing an old dining room suite. Sometimes in sanding off the old glue, I have sanded beyong the boundary of the joiint. These areas will have to be touched up when gluing is completed.

I'm concerned about using a glue that will degrade the strength of the glued joint. I'm using hide glue. Does anyone have any suggestions as to the best bet on touch-up finishes to use that won't degrade the joint strength?

I'm thninking of Minwax Satin Polyshade, applid with a Q-tip. Any comments would be very welcome.

Reply to
Ward Wheeler

nospambob