Getting a Unisaw home

Page 4 of 5
Swingman wrote:

What he said -- much better idea.

Rob Leatham
βœ–
I love this idea but have no idea where to find such a truck. UHaul and Ryder do not have these as standard equipment. The come-along idea - where do I hook to on the saw?

Add pictures here
βœ–
I love this idea but have no idea where to find such a truck. UHaul and Ryder do not have these as standard equipment. The come-along idea - where do I hook to on the saw?
Just loop some rope around the saw and hook into the ropes. Or if you are into this kind of thing, you will have some web slings laying around you can use.
Add pictures here
βœ–
On Sun, 21 Feb 2010 20:17:42 -0800 (PST), " snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com"

If you're in California, zilok.com rents 3/4 tom pickups with lift for $65/day: http://us.zilok.com/rental/17759-3-4-ton-pickup-truck-with-lift.html
Check whether they are in your area: http://us.zilok.com/c-100200300-rental/truck
Otherwise, see what a 16 foot moving van with lift costs - probably $35-$45/hour.
John
Add pictures here
βœ–
Not available around here, and the cost of an 8 - 10 hour rental is out of the question.
On Feb 21, 11:37 pm, snipped-for-privacy@jecarter.us wrote:

Add pictures here
βœ–

More like $50/day, not per hour ... no one could afford that, sheeeeeesh.
Penske has rental places all over MS.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08

Call any of the appliance outlets which haven't yet gone out of business. They probably have a lift truck and a man hanging around doing nothing and would love to go move a newfangled tablesaur for some fine gent in their town.
Horrifyingly enough, I drove by the last local equipment rental place last week and there was no equipment there, but a large For Rent sign hung on the building. DRAT!
-- "Just think of the tragedy of teaching children not to doubt." -- Clarence Darrow
Add pictures here
βœ–
On Mon, 22 Feb 2010 05:20:12 -0800 (PST), " snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com"

Rent or borrow a good refrigerator dolly.
Mark
Add pictures here
βœ–
I love this idea but have no idea where to rent such a truck. UHaul and Ryder do not carry trucks with these as std. equipment. The come- along idea ...where would you hook to on the saw?

Add pictures here
βœ–
On Sun, 21 Feb 2010 20:20:21 -0800 (PST), " snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com"

Well if you haven't come up with at least 3 plans from this I suggest you might call a piano mover.
Mike M
Add pictures here
βœ–
We moved in '08 and you U-Haul idea is a good one. We moved several shop items including my 470 pound Grizzly 1023s and several other tools using one of U-Hauls enclosed trailers (12' x 5' I believe with at least 5' of interior height). The trailer is built very close to the ground, and has the waist-high tie-down rail, and it worked well. I have a set of home-made 2x12 ramps with the metal add-on bottom & tailgate ledge ends. My neighbor helped my wife and I roll the saw up onto the trailer. On the other end, my wife, sister-in-law and I easily, well fairly easily, got it off. A few thoughts:
1) If you are buying from Craig's List ask if the seller can help you get it loaded. He is getting paid he should do more than stand and watch. If he can come up with a neighbor, all the better.
2) If the saw is not on a mobile base you might want to consider getting one. It will be a hassle getting the saw on the base but should be do-able. Without a base it will be more difficult. A fall back would be a few lengths of pvc pipe to use as rollers but that can be tricky, especially unloading.
3) If on a mobile base it might want to high-center when you start the slope onto the ramps. We actually had a little more trouble getting it off of the trailer than on. (Might have something to do with the 25 year old helper on one end and a spry 69 year old helper on the unload end:^} ).
4) Dis-assemble as much as you can. On my saw the fence alone is about 30+ pounds. Take wrenches and remove the tables if needed. It only takes a few moments and probably drops the weight by 50-60 pounds. You will likely take the fence rails off too. (We were able to move mine, on the mobile base, with the table attached.
5) The come-alone previously mentioned might help control it on the down slide (especially if you used pipe rollers)
Main advice. Don't get in a hurry. Look the situation over and be careful and methodical. It is do-able.
Add pictures here
βœ–

Sonny must have posted just ahead of me. the PVC pipe works. We moved a 800# gun safe and a 600# fireplace insert using the pipes. Just tip the saw back and slide the first one under; then balance it while rolling onto another. Then roll it onto a third and swap out from there.
Just remember one thing.....
TOP heavy.
RonB
Add pictures here
βœ–
On Sun, 21 Feb 2010 13:08:58 -0800 (PST), " snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com"

The top comes off with 4 bolts and 4 more if you want to take the extensions off first. You can easily move the base (with motor) around strapped to a good 2 wheel dolly.
Getting it into the truck can get a little tricky but if you can get the truck on a sloped drive or even over a curb and use some ramps you should be able to roll it in. You might also want to pop the tailgate off so you don't bend it or break a cable. I will say that I've never asked my Wife to help me move one but I have moved 3 of them always with just me and another guy.
The whole process is quite a bit easier if you can remove the motor but it takes two people to get that motor out and if you haven't done it before it's pretty easy to smash a finger. Motor removal on the later models is a little easier since they aren't quite as large as the old bullet style motors.
Mike O.
Add pictures here
βœ–
Thanks - not sure what to expect at the seller's address as to whether I can get a low sloped roll into the truck. Good tip on the tailgate. Doesn't sound like too many are making a concern about the motor breaking the trunnions during the return trip.

Add pictures here
βœ–
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

A typical Unisaw weighs in at 380 lbs, which can be handled fairly easy with hand carts. A furniture mover is also handy if you got one.
I assume you got a pair of decent ramps ???
(1) Remove any side tables. (2) Being Very careful, tilt the saw over on it's side and stand it up top down. Do NOT crush hand wheels doing this step. (3) Hand cart the saw up the ramps and place saw in truck bed upside down.
(4) Tie down saw, and drive slowly home.
(5) Do the reverse when you get home.
Did I mention being careful ???
Add pictures here
βœ–
I'm looking at a Unisaw on CL. I have a Dodge Ram pickup that can handle the load but I have no idea how I’d get the thing into the bed of the truck (just me & wife). The saw is not nearby and a bit of a drive. I don’t have access to a small trailer, although I guess I could rent a U-Haul? Recommendations?
Not unusual for Unisaws to sustain broken trunions unless handled with kid gloves. Lots of documentation concerning that problem. I personally would absolutely take the motor out so that the trunion only has to supports it's own weight should the saw shift or get bounced a bit. the motor is probably close to 100# so that should help with the lifting.
Add pictures here
βœ–
On Sun, 21 Feb 2010 13:08:58 -0800 (PST), " snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com"

Maybe you can remove the iron wings? These are heavy by themselves. Be careful to keep track of parts, screws, etc.
Add pictures here
βœ–
One other option that hasn't been mentioned is to rent a towable engine hoist. I'm not sure how easy it would be to attach to a unisaw but I used one to move a large wood stove a few years back and it worked great (and was pretty cheap -- under $20 to rent).
Lance
Add pictures here
βœ–
I have a good friend here who takes and uses his Unisaw to the jobsite. Backs the truck up to it and tips it onto its top. Claims to not have any problems with losing settings.
--
Keep the whole world singing . . . .