Gary Knox Bennett

Tom.

Thos. J. Watson - Cabinetmaker

Tom Watson

*Yawn*
Reply to
Robatoy

Yeah. I wouldn't figure you'd like something having to do with actual woodworking.

Regards, Tom.

Thos. J. Watson - Cabinetmaker

Tom Watson

I like the take-off on the F. L. Wright style. Seems like he'd be an interesting guy, but I think I'd rather spend shop time with him than go to an art show.

Reply to
Charlie Self

Charlie:

I'll let you know. Our woodworking club is going to visit him soon.

MJM

Reply to
mjmwallace

My guess is that he would feel about the same.

Regards, Tom.

Thos. J. Watson - Cabinetmaker

Tom Watson

Sorry, bro', but a zig-zag arrangement of pink and green floral cushions is just too gay. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

Reply to
Robatoy

Irony is a difficult thing to pull off.

Witness the current problem that The New Yorker is having with it.

It depends on the intelligence of the recipient.

In the case of The New Yorker they apparently ran into people who think that Colbert really is what he portrays (I'm not a right wing commentator but I play one on TV).

My guess is that they did not think that it would have an impact outside of their demographic of educated readers.

In the instance of Mr. Bennett he was depending on you to get that he was commenting on the zig zag chair of similar design produced by the (and this included irony is entirely too delicious) Dutch architect Gerrit Rietveld.

He gave you a clue in his naming of the piece, "Great Granny Rietveld?.

Bennett thinks that most architects design shitty furniture.

I'm inclined to agree.

If you would like to defend the honor of your homeboy - by all means have at it.

Regards, Tom.

Thos. J. Watson - Cabinetmaker

Tom Watson

Wow!